Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Edge of the Map

I saw a comic, years ago, about an adventuring party who ran into... nothing. No monsters, no dungeon, no walls, no floor. A big blank area. "What's this?" one of them asks. "This," responds the wizard, "is uncharted territory. Yes, gentlemen: we're off the map. The GM didn't make anything up past this point."

I might have the dialogue wrong (hell, I can't even remember what comic it was) but you get the idea.

I mention it because that's sort of what driving felt like, this morning. It's foggy. No, seriously, I mean FOGGY. Near Alex's daycare, I literally could not see more than twenty feet in front of the car. I was honestly worried I would miss my turn, because I couldn't see the buildings on the other side of the street that I use as my landmarks until I was actually level with them. It was easy to imagine that the road and its immediate surroundings were being created on the fly, just because there had to be something there as I moved forward.

No comments: