Monday, March 16, 2009

A Proper Weekend

Finally, a decent weekend.

Matt did not work. (And, as he pointed out, the slightly crappy weather meant he didn't have to mow the lawn, either.) We each got a turn to sleep in as late as we wanted.

Matt's mom called Saturday morning to tell us that Matt's sister had her baby, so I'm now officially an aunt! Very exciting. We need to send some gifts soon.

Saturday, Alex took a morning nap and woke up at exactly the right time for us to head out for the birthday party Penny had been invited to. Penny had a great time running around and bouncing, and Alex even got adventurous enough to toddle around a bit, though he made sure Matt or I stayed close. Both kids enjoyed the pizza and cake, of course, and Penny's sugars leveled out surprisingly quickly afterward, which was nice.

After we got home, Alex took another nap and woke up exactly in time for us to go out for dinner, so we went to La Tolteca. And since I'd skipped the pizza and cake, I ate my entire plate of fajitas, including sour cream and guacamole. Yum!

Sunday, we made it down to my parents' house to visit for a couple of hours. They were happy to visit with the kids, and it was nice to see how quickly Alex adjusted to the unfamiliar surroundings (though he still panicked if he saw me leaving the room -- guess he's not old enough yet to have drawn the conclusion that being at Grandma and Grandpa's house without Mom and Dad is actually more fun).

Alex is getting better and better at responding to verbal cues -- he'll now point to his head, his eyes, his ears, and his mouth, if he's in a mood to play such games. He'll also fetch his shoes for me in the morning, and books for his pre-bedtime reading at night.

After we got back from my folks', both kids were sent upstairs for a rest, and I took advantage of the quiet to (finally) finish doing our taxes. We owed for the federal, but are getting about the same amount back from the state, so I guess it works out. The balance even works out in our favor, though not really enough to qualify us for "mad money". More like, enough to treat us to pizza some night. Whoo. Still, I'm glad to have that chore off my plate.

Back to work today, but today looks like a relatively calm day, so hopefully I'll be able to ease into the work week, a bit. Really, I'm just glad to have had a proper weekend.

No comments: