Monday, December 7, 2009

Sleepy Moon

Busybusy weekend was good.

I got pictures taken for our family Christmas card, and the card ordered, yay! I wasn't sure what to wear in the picture -- all my Christmas clothes are too big for me. But I finally solved the problem with some ingenuity: a green turtleneck and the red belt from my old maternity sweater draped around my neck like a scarf. (It looked so good that way, I may keep the belt even when I get rid of the sweater!)

KT and Kevin dropped Jess off at our place around 10:30 Saturday, and Matt and I took all three kids in to New Town to see Santa. I love the New Town Santa. They're not usually very busy, so he got to spend lots of time talking with the kids, and posing for pictures. As he came in past me, he asked me sotto voce for their names, and the looks on their faces when he called to them by name was priceless.



And then, despite the cold and rain, the girls wanted to go on the horse-drawn carriage ride. Alex had a blast with that, too, and despite the cold and rain, I'm glad we did it.

We went to Pizza Hut for lunch, and then Penny and Jess played with Ray for most of the afternoon, over at Ray's house and then at our place (after Alex was up from his nap). Three 5-6 year-olds make a lot of noise. Way more than three times the amount of noise one kid makes. It's exponential, or something. Ow.

It took a while to get the girls to sleep Saturday night, but eventually they dropped off. They woke up at 6:56 Sunday morning and even managed to restrain themselves from waking us up for the whole four minutes until 7. (Sort of. Their talking did wake me up, but they were at least trying to be quiet.)

Sunday afternoon, KT and Kevin came back, and Elizabeth came over, and we made moon cookies. Since it was a small group, I thought we'd end at one batch of cookies, but the first batch went so fast, we decided to go ahead and make some more. The second batch, we experimented with using up some whole wheat flour I'd bought for a recipe a while back. We substituted it for half the white flour.

It handled differently (it was very goopy -- but came out of the molds much easier than the all-white-flour batch did) and the cookies had a slightly different texture, but the the wheat flour made the bigger cookies softer and the smaller cookies crunchier -- which is good news for both the soft and crunchy cookie contingencies in the bunch!




After the cookies, we all went out to Peking for dinner, and had a fantastic time.

All in all, it was a great weekend. The kids were amazingly well-behaved and patient despite being in various states of not-enough-sleep, and I got to visit with friends and do fun stuff.

No comments: