Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thanks

Wow, I kind of fell off the planet for a while there, didn't I? Between the kids getting sick and Matt and I getting sick and Thanksgiving and the preparing for Christmas and the insane twenty-deliverable-day I had for work yesterday, I haven't been doing my blogging.  Let's see if I can sum up, here...

The less said about various sicknesses, the better. Suffice to say, the Uck made its way around our house and gave us a rough few days, but it cleared up in time for Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving itself was really quite good. We TiVo'ed the Macy's parade, so I got to watch the whole thing, without commercials, which rocked. (Yes, the nostalgia smacked me hard and I sniffled through most of it.) Alex threw a few tantrums, but that was only to be expected. Penny was fantastic, and the dinner was wonderful. We had a great time, we ate great food, and we were grateful for all the wonderful people and things in our lives.



Friday was Matt's birthday, though since we'd done our big celebration with the family at Thanksgiving, we didn't do much. In fact, he went back down to my parents' house to help my dad clean out the gutters. But I made slow-cook chili and that evening we had Braz and Emma and Sarah over for dinner, and Matt and Braz played with the Lego Star Wars video game Matt's brother had sent him, and a good time was had by all.



Saturday morning, Penny's loose tooth finally gave up the ghost and fell out! Whoo-hoo, her first loose tooth!

That afternoon, I took Penny to Target for a marathon shopping session. I picked out a couple of seasonal shirts for me, and Christmas decorations, and toys for her brother and her friends, and more Christmas decorations, and teacher gifts, and still more Christmas decorations. I spent a ridiculous amount of money, but it was fun and knocked out over half of our holiday shopping in one fell swoop.

We actually put the tree up on Sunday. Alex was fascinated with the whole process, and as many times as I had to tell him not to throw the ornaments and to put them back on the tree, I'm glad I shelled out for some cheap plastic ornaments to hang low on the tree this year. (Though now I think I'm going to have to buy another ornament storage box.).



I actually gave in to a long-standing impulse (is that a contradiction in terms?) and purchased one strand of colored lights to wind into the middle of our tree. It looks just as nice as I'd hoped, though I think a second strand would look even better. But since all the ornaments are on the tree, I'll have to wait on that until next year.

I haven't done the outdoor decorations yet -- we didn't finish the tree until after dark on Sunday -- so that's something I'll do this coming weekend, along with getting our picture for the holiday card, taking the kids to see Santa, and buying ingredients for the moon cookie party Sunday.

Today, my schedule includes a lunchtime run to get presents for Penny (and stuff to put in the advent calendar, and stocking stuffers, and a "Santa" present for Alex) and making arrangements for my office's holiday luncheon.

Christmas is in full swing -- it's a good thing I'm all about the hustle and bustle and domestic goddess-ness of it, this year!

No comments: