Wednesday, April 21, 2010

It's On!

So KT and I are going to have a writing weekend at the end of May. Memorial Day weekend, in fact, which is helpful because it gives us the Monday holiday to catch up on stuff we usually do on the weekends.

Just yesterday, she got permission for us to use her dad and stepmom's beach house, which is about two blocks from VA Beach, and sits right next to some outlet of the river. There is no wifi available, which is, actually, exactly what we want, since then we will not be tempted to log in "just for a minute". (I'll have my phone with me, but hopefully I'll be able to avoid that temptation.)

The times are still fuzzy, but I expect we'll head down Friday afternoon or evening (depending on how early I can get away from work) and come back Sunday afternoon. Which gives us Friday evening, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning to write. We'll plan our meals and bring our own food with us to avoid too many diet temptations (though I expect we'll eat out once, in celebration). We'll walk on the beach when we need to stretch and get some exercise. But otherwise, we'll act like reclusive shut-ins, staying in the cabin and writing. Or on the porch, I suppose, if the weather's good.

I can't even convey how excited both of us are about this. Mind you, KT and I get pretty excited any time we're going to get to spend time together -- we don't see each other nearly often enough. But we've been such good writing partners for each other in the past, we're both really hopeful that this will help both of us get into gear on our various projects.

I'd love to make it a regular thing. Maybe not the whole weekend -- maybe just one day a month or every other month where we find a space that we can work and not be interrupted or disturb anyone else, sort of like we used to do for scrapbooking events. Only quieter and not nearly as messy.

In the meantime, this is a possibly weird but absolutely perfect little mini-vacation for both of us, and we're thrilled to the point of having to suppress our squees.

We're also insanely grateful to have such awesome and supportive husbands. Just putting that out there, because way, way too many guys would balk at taking on single parent duty voluntarily.

My calendar is marked, and I'm counting down the days!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I hope you guys have a great and productive time :D