Friday, June 10, 2011

Field Day

Alex is about 90% self-sufficient when it comes to getting himself dressed in the mornings. Matt gets him up and gets rid of the night-time diaper, and then he's pretty much on his own. He does sometimes insist that I help him with his socks (getting the toes lined up just right is tricky) and he has a couple of pairs of pants that he can't work the snap by himself and has to ask for help with. But aside from those things, he does the whole shebang by himself.

This morning, he was awake and singing little songs even before I went downstairs to do my little Wii Fit yoga. So as soon as I was done and had helped Penny with the rest of her breakfast (she's about 90% self-sufficient with her breakfast lately, except she needs someone to open her pill and vitamin bottles, and someone to double-check her insulin draw) I went upstairs to get Alex out of bed, since Matt was still shaving.

I got the diaper off and cleaned him up, then left him to his getting-dressed devices while I went to get dressed, myself. He picked out underwear and put it on, then traded his pajama top for a t-shirt, and then put on his socks and came into our bedroom to ask me to help him straighten them out. Then he went back to his room and shut the door.

"Putting on pants is very private," I told Matt, mock-serious. "Even though he just had his little wiener hanging out for all to see."

"Well, he's going to grow up to be a Congressman," Matt told me.

"Oh, no," I said. "I don't think I could stand the shame."

***

Penny's school has its annual Field Day today, assuming it doesn't rain. She was bouncy and excited in the car, and I hope she has a good time.

Trying to keep the mood happy, I told her that we'd been thinking about going to the movies this weekend, to see Kung Fu Panda 2. (No, we didn't see the original. But the trailers for this are cute and I'm pretty sure we can, y'know, pick up the critical plot points.) I braced for Penny to start begging for popcorn and soda.

Instead, she wilted. "I don't like Kung Fu Panda," she whined.

"Fine," I sighed. "Maybe we'll leave you with Adin and Braz and just Daddy and Alex and I will go to the movies." I'm sort of tired of making an effort to do fun things with them, only to have them pout and whine. She doesn't get to complain about being bored, though.

Of course, it occurs to me that Braz and Adin have Braz's girls this weekend in addition to Adin's kids, so dumping Penny on them for two or three hours is possibly unfair. Hrm. Well, we'll figure it out somehow.

No comments: