Monday, March 1, 1999

Archive - 1 March 1999

Well, it's March now. I'm not doing much of anything today because I'm waiting to find out whether the module I wrote has any bugs in it, and the guy I gave it to for testing probably won't get around to it until about Thursday. So I'm just sitting here working on my webpage today. Actually, I just sat around working on my webpage last Friday, too. I didn't get up a journal entry because I was so busy with the rest of the page. Some of what I changed is behind-the-scenes stuff that won't make any difference to readers. But I added a bunch of pictures. Pictures are good, right?

Had a good weekend. We skipped water aerobics on Friday to go to the GreenLeafe with a bunch of people from the office. (The Leafe is a local bar - excuse me, restaurant that serves alcohol. (Bars are illegal in VA.) It's not the most popular alcohol-serving restaurant in the area, because their prices are a little steep for the college students who make up the majority of drinkers in the area. (The Leafe serves a lot of specialty beers, whereas the Delis serve whatever's cheap this week.) But it was fun. We had dinner there and sat drinking until about 8 or so, and then Jeremy and Matt decided they had to look in on the college's Tech Support (the Leafe is across the street from William and Mary's campus). So the four of us (including Jeremy's girlfriend Elizabeth) tromped over to the campus. My bad foot was bothering me, so I went and flopped in the University Center for half an hour while they wandered around.

Saturday we puttered around running errands in the morning. I bought myself a new color printer last weekend - I'd been meaning to get one since before Christmas, but decided to hold off. So anyway, I bought one finally last weekend, and I thought it would be great if I could get some index cards and print out the recipes we actually use, and then we wouldn't have as many cookbooks cluttering up the kitchen. So we went to Staples. What I had in mind was the specialty stuff that Avery makes. When I finally found it, I was astonished to learn that the Avery stuff was like $15 for only 150 note cards. Regular plain index cards were only $3.50 for 500 of them, so I got those and decided for that much savings, I could blow as many as I needed to, to get the settings right. And it only took me about four tries to get everything lined up the way I wanted it.

Since I got the new printer, though, I spent more time wandering around Staples. Here's something funny for you: I hardly ever print anything, really. The occasional letter, or a shopping list, or a budget. But since I just got the brand-new color printer I was lingering over all the novelty paper like a kid in a candy shop. I kept having conversations with myself:
Let's get this stuff with the parchment scroll on it.
What are we going to do with that?
I dunno, but it's really cool. Chuck had it, remember? He used it for the game.
Yeah, but we're not in a game right now. What would you use it for?
Ooh! This is kindof cute.
It's just some graphics at the top of normal paper. You have a color printer - if you want graphics at the top, just print graphics at the top!
Yeah, but that would use up the color ink faster.
I'm willing to bet that the amount of ink used to print those graphics is not more expensive than buying a whole pack of the paper and using only two sheets.
Well...
Like that. Anyway, after we ran our errands, we went down to visit my mom for a while. (Dad was at a scouting event, or we'd have visited him, too.) We went to dinner at Don Pablo's and I blew my diet just a little bit - I thought if I had the dinner salad with no cheese and plain vinegar for dressing, then I'd have enough points left over to have dessert (I adore their ice cream nachos). But when I got home and added it up, I was a bit over anyway. Oh, well. Saturday night we rented The Full Monty. That was really good. Just fantastic. Hysterically funny. Even after we'd gone to bed, I would remember some scene and start giggling again. If you haven't seen it yet, rent it!

Sunday after we did the chores (Sunday is laundry and grocery day) we swung by my folks' house to visit with my dad a little bit and then headed down to KT and Kevin's place for the Alternity game. That was fun, especially after the Twerp left and Richard and Carl showed up. I'd forgotten what it was like to game with them. We had a blast. I even stayed until ten, which broke the rule I had set right at the beginning that I would not stay later than nine. (I get cranky if I don't get eight hours of sleep a night, but it was so great to see Rick and Carl...)

But I blew my diet again. I thought I'd reserved enough points for dinner, and wound up blowing it anyway by having two McD's hamburgers and two side salads. ::sigh:: Matt and I talked about it on the way home, and we decided that from now on, we'll bring our own dinner to the games. I just can not stick to my diet if we're going to be having fast food and pizza every gaming session. So I'll start bringing a can of soup or something. Maybe that chicken and caramelized onion recipe I picked up, since I like onions so much. And I'm going to try to get up every morning as soon as the alarm goes off and do some exercise. I'm starting with just five minutes, and I won't be counting repetitions or anything - just doing situps or leglifts or pushups or arm curls until the timer goes off. And then every other day or maybe once a week, I'll increase the time by thirty seconds, until I'm up to maybe fifteen or twenty minutes. I know, I've made plans like this before. But I've really got to take control, or even after I lose all the weight I want to lose, I'll just be this flabby skin hanging off my skeleton, and I really won't be any better looking than now.

KT's so together about it. She seems to have finally made peace with her body, and now being overweight doesn't seem to bother her in the slightest. It seems like, for her, she wants to be more healthy, but couldn't care less about her figure. I wish I could manage that - it seems like a more emotionally healthy outlook - but I just look down at my stomach and think about how gross it looks. It doesn't seem to matter that my cholesterol and blood pressure levels are as healthy as they've been in years. I want this stomach gone! I want my breasts to shrink so they don't hang down; I'm short-waisted enough as it is! I want to be able to wear sleeveless shirts and shorts and not be embarrassed! ::sigh::

Actually, I'm in a pretty good mood today. Don't let my diet ranting get to you. Maybe exercising in the morning is good for me.

No comments: