Tuesday, March 23, 1999

Archive - 23 March 1999

Little while ago I bought a book called Match Wits with Mensa. It's a quiz book. I love puzzles and games, and - hey look out, is she going to say something nice about herself for once? - I'm actually pretty smart, so I thought I'd see how I did with this. The answers section of each quiz tells how Mensa members did on the quiz as a whole and on each individual question, which was nice in the Trivia section, because I only got seven out of twenty correct - but a lot of the questions were followed by numbers below 50%, which is to say less than 50% of the polled Mensa members knew the correct answer. I got every single answer correct on the Vocabulary section. I'm pretty happy about that, because when I took my SATs and GREs, the verbal section was my least impressive.

There's a section in the back that tells you how you can join Mensa if you want to: You have to have scored in the upper 2% of test takers for a number of specific standardized tests. As far as I know, I've never had an IQ test, but they list SATs and GREs among them, and whaddya know? I qualify! They say between 1974 and 1994, a combined SAT score of 1250 qualifies, and I got a 1330. I can't remember what I got on my GREs, but I'm pretty sure I still have a copy on file somewhere. Maybe I'll join. No, seriously! But first I'll want to work through this book...

A notice in the hallway warned us to "secure our pets" because the maintenance crew is coming by today to change the air filters on the heaters. So we had to lock Diamond in the back room. I always feel like such a bad person when we do that... Especially since the cat has no idea why he's being punished. ::sigh:: I'm such a terrible mother.

I seem to have infected a number of my friends with journal-itis. Matt has his Random Scribblings section, and Jeremy has a work-only journal on his 3GI site, and KT is thinking of adding a journal to her webpage, when she gets it put together, called Me Too, Me Too! ::grin::

It made me wonder why I was doing it. What earthly reason is there to have a journal online? Probably as many reasons as there are people - or at least journallers - but why am I doing it? I'm not sure, but I'll be thinking about it. When it started, I just thought it was a neat idea and I wanted to try it. But it's been almost two months now, and there's no sign of my stopping. Why, when every other journal I've tried to keep has fizzled out after only a few entries?

Maybe because this one is online. Because I know other people are reading it, and I'd feel like I'd let them down if they didn't have something to read every day, even if it's boring or whiney. I've always worked better when there's a deadline to meet. But that can't be the sole reason.

I feel like I should really examine my reasons, even if I never post them. Suddenly, it's become important to me to explain why I feel compelled to take half an hour every morning and write something. Why it feels better that I write every day, even if what I write has no substance, than if I save my writing for when I have something worthwhile to say. Why I have this need to be known by complete strangers.

Maybe I just don't want to get to work.

No comments: