Wednesday, March 10, 1999

Archive - 10 March 1999

So I thought I'd try to write in my journal every day, and not just whenever the mood strikes. I'd like to get into the habit of writing every day, even when I don't think I have anything to say. Well into my high school years, I wanted to be a writer. I know now that I probably never will be - I'm just not that good at devising plots, and my characters aren't very memorable. But maybe writing every day will help. Or maybe not, and I'll just make a few avid journal-readers happy with regular posts. Or maybe my dedication will peter out and fade like it so frequently does.

This morning when the alarm went off, I couldn't drag myself out of bed. When Matt's alarm went off, I cursed, muttered, grumbled, and dragged myself up to let the cat in and feed him. Then I went back to bed. Matt asked, "Did you do your exercises?"

Well, no, I hadn't. And I hadn't done them yesterday morning, either. That didn't last very long, did it? I just have to face the fact that getting up early in the morning isn't going to work for me, and find some better time to exercise. (If the company would just sign up with the gym for corporate sponsorship, I think I *might* manage to go at lunch or after work.) Ah, hell, who am I kidding?

I got my 20-pound star at Weight Watchers last night, though! Yay, me! Matt and I are trying to think of something to use as a reward for significant milestones. Dinner out at a nice restaurant is just counterproductive, and I have a tendency to indulge myself with non-food desires (like new books or clothes) as soon as they occur to me. Flowers? Or maybe I'll call the physical therapist and treat myself to an hour-long massage, mmm. If you have any ideas, by all means, let me know!

So while I was at Weight Watchers last night, I bought myself a mug. It holds - oh, I dunno. Three or four cups. It's a sexy glossy black, and has a straw (which was important, because for some reason I like water if I have to suck it out of its container. Keep that thought to yourself). Anyway... I was reasonably happy with it, though some testing over my sink last night revealed that while the lid itself is watertight, the little caps over the drinking and straw holes are not. Good thing I found out early, huh?

This morning, I had the mug about half-full of water, and along with my lunchbox and a book to read and my purse, I put it in the car as I was going to work. Everything else went into the backseat, as usual, except for the mug. Since it had water in it that could be spilled, I put it in the empty passenger seat next to me so I could keep and eye on it. When I got to work, I reached to pick it up and discovered that at some point - don't as me when - it had tipped over, spilling a good half a cup or more of water. The seat was soaked. I managed to scoop most of it out the door with my hands, but it's pretty durn cold here this morning, so I wasn't happy about it. So much for keeping an eye on it! I guess I'll just leave the mug here at the office (this is where I do most of my water drinking anyway) and maybe next week I'll get myself a mug for home. Maybe not, though...

Oh, I forgot, Monday, to give everyone a link to the circus's webpage, so here it is.

I've got a new favorite recipe: Chicken with Caramelized Onion. Wow. It's fantastic. Tons of flavor, very low-cal/low-fat. It takes about half an hour to make, but it's pretty easy; all I have to do for the half-hour is stand there and stir, and occasionally add something. I'm trying to figure out how I could make it in advance and take it with me to games - if I had a plate of this stuff, I wouldn't care if everyone else was eating fast food! Maybe if I left the chicken just slightly undercooked, it would just finish cooking instead of getting tough when I reheated it... Can you tell I like it? I think I'd be happy eating this several times a week. Matt likes it, too, but not as much as I do - it's got a lot of vinegar in it, and Matt isn't as big a fan of onions as I am. If you'd like the recipe, though, e-mail me and I'll be happy to give it to you.

No comments: