Monday, March 8, 1999

Archive - 8 March 1999

I had such an awesome weekend! Let me tell you about it!

Friday evening Matt and I decided not to go to water aerobics when it turned out that the regular teacher was still out, and the drill sergeant still subbing. (See this page for Matt's summation of the sub.) Anyway, not having to go to class made us both a little happier. I tried a new recipe for dinner that turned out reasonably well, despite having to substitute chicken for veal at the last minute (the veal had spoiled). And when I added up the points, I still had to eat quite a few more calories to make the minimum for my day. I love that - I get to eat junkfood or candy and loudly proclaim, "I'm just following my diet!"

So I made meringue kisses. Easiest recipe in the world, and the resulting cookies/candies are fantastic - crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside, and the whole thing melts in your mouth. Just amazing. In fact, I wound up making two batches, and we munched on them all weekend long. I'll have to remember that recipe for relatively low-calorie treats. (It's just egg whites and sugar, really, but the egg whites spread the sugar out so well that seven kisses is only two points.)

Saturday, my parents came over around 1:30, and we took them over to see the model of the house we're having built, and to look at our lot. My mom hadn't seen anything but floorplans yet, so she was very excited. They both approved, and came up with a number of ideas. Dad wants to come over and check up on the builders every couple of days when they start the building. Matt and I won't argue - Dad knows a lot more about building houses than we do!

After that, we went over to my parents' house for an hour or so and it was very nice to just sit and talk for a while. Then we went out for dinner to the Country Inn, which was a great little ribs joint. Then we were off to the circus!

We got to the Hampton Coliseum about 6:30, an hour before the beginning of the show. Dad picked up the tickets he'd reserved only a minute or two before the doors were opened. Our seats were off to one side, near Ring 1, but at a very nice height. Before the show, they had some hands-on exhibits for the kids - a few animals to pet, clowns doing juggling and tricks, plate spinners, that sort of thing. You had to pay extra to go down onto the floor, but we could see everything we were really interested in (i.e., the juggling and acrobatics) from our seats. The show started promptly at 7:30, and it was fantastic! We bought drinks and popcorn and cotton candy and a stuffed animal, and came home broke, but it was a load of fun. One animal trainer actually had trained housecats. I couldn't get enough. The time flew, and when they went into the closing number, I was positive that it hadn't been anywhere near long enough yet...

Sunday I slept in late, we did the laundry, and then we went over to KT and Kevin's to play Alternity. That was a fun session. Almost all of us died. And we accidentally let the dimension door open, though I'm not sure if that was going to happen anyway... But now there's a big mess our party has to fix, or my character's butt is going to be fired!

All in all, a really good weekend, though it wasn't long enough (they never are, I suppose) and Matt is complaining this morning that his shoulders hurt even though we have no idea what he could have done to them.

Anyway, I thought you'd like to see a post from me that isn't whiney for once! Have a great day!

No comments: