Friday, March 19, 1999

Archive - 19 March 1999

KT got a job, through her temp agency, working at the Law Library. It sounds extraordinarily boring - data entry and the like - but at least she's getting paid. I asked about the resume she put in here, and got the distinct impression that I should keep my nose out of it. But she hasn't gotten an rejection letter from us yet, so I guess there's hope. Jeremy and I met her yesterday for lunch at Peking, and despite the fact that less than a year ago KT was still insisting that she didn't like Jeremy and Jeremy was professing a profound lack of interest in KT's opinion of him, it went pretty well. I chanced dragging Jeremy along because KT had mentioned on Monday night's Meade Hall session that she had been thinking of giving Jeremy another chance - without the bias instilled by Jeremy's ex-girlfriend.

It's amazing how much people can change, isn't it? Two years ago I would have bet that KT's opinion of Jeremy would never change. But then, two years ago, I would have bet that her opinion of her father would never change, either. Enough of that.

Last night, Matt and I rented A Funny Thing Happened On the Way To the Forum. It was kindof cute, but it dragged terribly in places. We always do much better when Matt picks the movie. At least when we're renting. The action-adventure movie we rented last week was full of plot holes, and (as I expected) I was pretty bored with the shoot-em-up-bang-bang bits, but at least it had funny dialogue! ::sigh:: I also rented Mr. Bean's Bits (best-of clips from the Mr. Bean TV shows) so I hope that's better. Rowan Atkinson is fairly reliably funny, at least. Halfway through A Funny Thing... I found myself looking at the VCR timer and mentally whining about how much time was left. And I'd picked it out - I couldn't just turn it off! At least it picked up near the end. I'd have done better, though, to go with my first impulse and rent Man in the Iron Mask or something we'd seen before and wanted to see again.

You know that review I was supposed to have yesterday at 9:00? At 9:15, my supervisor called and asked if we could move it to 10. Well, I had another meeting at 10, so we re-scheduled the review for 2:30. At 2:30, he was still putting his desk together (he got a new desk yesterday) but he promised to holler for me as soon as he was done. (His office is right across the hall from mine, so that's not as preposterous as it sounds.) At 3:15 or so, a manager from the business office called and wanted my supervisor in on a conference call that he swore would only take ten minutes. The conference call was finally over around 4:20. At 4:30 (after a bathroom and coffee break which even I couldn't begrudge him after a hour-long call), I finally got my review! I got to tell him what I'd worked out about the problems I'd had this year, and what kind of work I'd prefer for the upcoming year. He agreed with my assessment of my strengths and my weaknesses, and suggested some ways that I could address both with the project I'll be on starting next week. And he gave me my raise, which was a little higher than I'd been expecting, but not as phenomenal as the last couple of raises.

And that's enough about work, too.

I realized when I started writing this that new readers might not know who KT and Jeremy were, or even Matt. I thought about writing a Cast of Characters section. Even started working on it. Then I realized, I already have one, and it's accessible from the same page as the journal index. So much for that space-filler. ::grin::

I'm so happy it's Friday. I've just been exhausted all week - I hope I can manage to sleep in a little this weekend. But before I do that, I have to finish up this project here at work, then go to water aerobics (without whining!) and write a politely nasty letter to our realtor and the builder of our house to tell them we're irritated that they haven't started building yet.

So much to do, so little time...

No comments: