Thursday, March 25, 1999

Archive - 25 March 1999

Okay, I'm really sorry to everyone who's been waiting impatiently all morning for the solution to the puzzle! But I actually had to (gasp) do work this morning, so I haven't been able to get to this. Go on, scroll right away to the bottom of the page and find out how the knight was able to avoid being executed, and then you can come back and read this. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't solve this puzzle the first time I read it, either. If you did, good for you!

We'll be leaving work a little early today, so we can go down to the Commissioner's office. As Matt said this morning, it'll be a good day today. I like Thursdays anyway, just because I get to go home right after work.

Today and tomorrow are medium dress-up days at the office. We call them DressCon 2 days. Dress Con 3 is the norm - as our senior V.P. explains it, anything goes that would be acceptable on a golf course. Yeah, I get to wear jeans to work most days. T-shirts are even okay, as long as they don't have any potentially offensive slogans on them. (For a while, t-shirts were not okay, but I don't really feel comfortable wearing t-shirts to work anyway. But I see plenty of other people doing it.) Dress Con 2 is what the rest of the world calls "business casual" - slacks instead of jeans, no sneakers, collared shirts. (Of course, that's the regs for the guys. No one ever states the rules for the women's clothes, because women's clothes are so nebulous, especially in the corporate world.) And very rarely, we'll have a Dress Con 1, which means the men all have to wear button-down shirts and ties. I love working in such a casual office.

Last night, Matt stayed up late to watch a TV show he'd been wanting to see, and when he came to bed, I snuggled up close and fell asleep with my head on his shoulder. This is a little unusual for us, because neither of us really like to be warm when we're going to sleep, and body heat is just a bit too high. I don't know how long I was asleep when I woke up again, but what went through my mind was Oh, shit, I was just going to snuggle for a little bit and then let him go to sleep and instead I dozed off - I bet his arm is completely bloodless by now! I got out a mumbled, "I'm sorry" as I was turning over, and he asked, "Why?" I couldn't answer that, so I just re-fluffed my pillow and went back to sleep.

Then, this morning I didn't want to get out of bed. It was too warm and cozy, and entirely too early in the morning to think about anything but more sleep. (I'm not a morning person. I know several women who get up at 5 or 5:30 in order to exercise, shower, eat breakfast, and put on makeup, but I'm doing well if I can drag myself out of bed by 6:15 and perform the minimum necessary preparations: shower and get dressed. I'm lucky if I remember to comb my hair.) But I dragged myself vertical and headed for the bathroom, and turned to ask Matt if he needed to use the bathroom before I took my shower (I'll be so glad when we have more than one bathroom) and he shook his head and sortof stretched out his arms like a shy toddler asking for a hug, and how can you ignore something like that? So I went back to the bed and cuddled with him for another ten minutes or so, and almost went back to sleep. ::sigh:: Some mornings it's just so hard to get moving.

No comments: