Thursday, July 17, 2008

Dang Kids

I did make it to the Y for my swim yesterday, but because of various work hassles, I was running about twenty minutes later than usual. But I decided on a different meal for dinner (that would take about half the time to cook) and took a few deep breaths and promised that I wouldn't cut my swim short just because I was feeling rushed.

I was about halfway through my usual lap count when about eight kids and two swim instructors moved into my lane, because the kiddie side of the pool was full with two other swim classes.

I don't begrudge the kids their swim class. If I'd gotten to it a bit earlier, Penny might well have been one of those kids. But here's the thing:

1) How is it that the Y didn't realize that four classes was too many to have in the kiddie lanes at one time? And

2) If they were going to be using the far lane of the lap pool, why didn't they put up a sign so I'd know not to swim there?

Naturally, there were no other lanes available for me to move into. I gave up and headed for the locker room. Where I discovered some mom who had, for some reason, brought her 3-year-old into the clearly-marked, adults only locker room.

I wanted to throw things, I honestly did.




Alex seems to have settled into a pretty stable sleep pattern: When it's Matt's turn to get up with him, he sleeps until 5:45; on my days, he's up at 5:15. I keep trying to inch his bedtime back, because 7:30 to 6 (give or take fifteen minutes) would be so much more tolerable than 7 to 5:30. But he's not having any of it. Every time I keep him up later, he wakes up earlier.

The little stinker.

No comments: