Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Mental- I Mean, Dental

Late post today, because as soon as Penny and I dropped Alex off at school, we went to the dentist.

Highlights of this trip:

- There were more kids in the kids' waiting area today than I've ever seen there. It seems 8am appointments are very popular.

- One boy of about six got called back, and his mom said, "He's a new diabetic - is the fluoride treatment going to affect his sugar?" After the boy had followed the hygienist, I spoke to her, pointed out Penny, and we chatted a bit. He's honeymooning, so constantly in danger of lows, but adapting well -- he not only does his own sticks, but shots as well. I reassured her that it does get better, or at least that you get used to it.

- When the hygienist called Penny back, out of curiosity, I stayed in my seat. Penny didn't ask me to come with her. She followed the hygienist to the x-ray station and then to the cleaning area without a whimper. I could hear her chatting cheerfully the whole time about this and that. When another hygienist came for me before Penny was done, I went into her station to tell her that I was going back for my own teeth, and that when she was done, someone would bring her back to me (as she'd requested earlier).

- My hygienist messed up something on her computer. When my cleaning/checkup was finished, I fixed it for her. I am now a hero.

- Neither Penny nor I had any cavities. Both of us need to brush and floss a little more regularly.




I got up to wash my lunch dishes and discovered my boss and one other manager showing a couple of policemen around the building. Ten minutes later, my boss sent an email to everyone at the facility:

If you hit 9-1-1 by accident when dialing out, please stay on the line and answer the operator and let them know it was a mistake. Otherwise, the James City County Police automatically send out two cars to the Center to check out the call.


Let that be a lesson to you.

No comments: