Thursday, October 16, 2008

Today

I've got a pile of things to do today.

I've got a 50-page document that I need to consolidate comments on and re-write.

I've got a three-inch-thick pile of mail (no really, I got out a ruler) to open and sort and otherwise attend to.

I should try to wedge myself into my boss's schedule for fifteen minutes to talk about the next step on my six-sigma project.

While I'm at it, I should try to get him to make a decision on the other project I'm (technically) doing, but stalled on about a month ago.

I should go to the gym. (I keep trying to increase the difficulty level on the bike, but every time I do, my knee aches for the next several days. Stupid knee.)

I need to update my database and write my bi-monthly status report.

I need to do my meal-planning for next week.

I need to put some stuff on my wishlist that I want but can't get since I'm in a No-Buy Zone.

I'd like to finish writing the chapter I started yesterday.

Sometime soon (but not necessarily today) I need to get some new hand-weights, and re-work my office exercise routine a little




Last night I made a variation on tequila-lime chicken. I cubed some chicken breast and marinated it for the day in a mixture of good tequila left over from my trip to Cancun, soy sauce, lime juice, and olive oil. Then I threw all of it in a skillet and cooked the chicken, and when the chicken was done I added a can of diced tomatoes, a can of kidney beans, and two cups of frozen corn, and seasoned it all with a dash of onion powder and two dashes of chili powder. (No salt, since there was plenty of sodium in the soy sauce.) Simmered it all until the juice was nice and thick, portioned it out onto plates, and gave each a sprinkle of sharp cheddar and a few dollops of sour cream.

(Actually, I didn't use sour cream. I used plain, fat-free greek-style yogurt, which is exactly the right consistency, and closer in flavor to real sour cream than even low-fat sour cream. Someone suggested it to me a while back, and when I noticed our grocery store had it, I thought I'd give it a try. Color me impressed! Now I have to go back to the store to get some more so I can put it on the chili I'm making tomorrow.)

Anyway, Penny is pretty picky about all-in-one meals, and she's particularly picky about sauces on her chicken, but she ate all this without so much as a curled lip of "do I really hafta?". And it's healthy (excepting perhaps the tequila and the cheese, but it's not like either was excessive) and it was wonderfully filling. It goes on THE LIST! (Hrm. Guess that means I need some more quality tequila...)

No comments: