Friday, October 16, 2009

Doing Good

It's Friday.

Not that Friday means all that much to me, just now. I worked last weekend and the weekend before that, and I'm going to be working this weekend, too. All "Friday" means, right now, is that I could've worn jeans to work (though I didn't) and that when I come in tomorrow, I can wear a t-shirt. Whoo.

Nevertheless, I'm feeling pretty good about today.

Alex's daycare is selling wristbands and keychains to raise money for breast cancer research, and this morning I finally remembered to dig out $5 and buy a couple of wristbands. I gave Penny one (she loves anything pink) that says "Hope" on it. Didn't realize until I got out to the car that mine said "Survivor," which I'm not, but whatever. I turned it inside-out. It's not like I'm going to wear it much. Or even keep it. (Honestly, rubber bracelets of any color are really ugly. Who came up with this?) But I feel pretty good about having made my donation to the cause. Wonder if I could get them to do something to support World Diabetes Day in November? Kind of short notice, though. Eh, well. Maybe next year.

All the toddlers in Alex's class ran over to me to ask for hugs while I was getting his jacket off and put away. I obliged them. I like hugs.

Penny made bracelets last weekend for two of her friends at school. After forgetting them all week, she brought them in the car with her yesterday, but wouldn't put them in her backpack. So naturally, when we got to school, she forgot them. And then got mad at me when I refused to go back out into the pouring rain to get them for her. So this morning, when I suggested she put them in her backpack so she wouldn't forget them, she took my suggestion... except one of the bracelets was missing.

After we got Alex to daycare, we pretty much emptied out the whole back seat of the car, looking for it, but we couldn't find it. She was obviously disappointed, but mostly took it in stride and agreed that she'd make another bracelet this weekend.

Matt's doing the WatchDOGS program today, so I dropped her off with him rather than walking her up to school myself, but as I was driving out, I happened to glance over and -- spotted the missing bracelet in the parking lot. It must have fallen out of the car yesterday morning. I quickly pulled into a spot, ran over and grabbed the bracelet, then ran to the crosswalk where Matt and Penny were to give it to her. Her eyes lit up and she squealed with delight. "Thank you, Mama!"

That felt pretty good, too.

I'm going to have a good day. You too, okay?

No comments: