Thursday, June 5, 2008

Candyland

Penny has discovered the mountain of fun that is Candy Land. We played three games last night, and the last one threatened to run on for an hour until I sneakily started hiding the "jump" cards every time they turned up.

It's an obsessively boring game if you have a mental capacity exceeding the average eight-year-old, but Penny is in love, and her enthusiasm is fun to watch. She was a bit of a sore winner at first, but once she'd lost a few games, her winning behavior improved.

She also exhibits shades of her roleplayer heritage. "Oh, no, I'm stuck! Help!" or "Ooh, I get a cookie! Yum yum yum!" or "Oh, no, it's the scary guy! I need to run fast!" or "Hi, Mommy! Let's share this square!" (The little plastic gingerbread man markers are a family, you see.)




I'm leaving work early today to pick Penny up and take her down to the CHKD satellite in Newport News so they can do a blood draw. She knows it's coming, and she's not enthusiastic, but I told her they weren't going to tape it down and leave it -- they'll get the blood and then take it out and we'll leave.

What I did not tell her yet is that I'm planning to take her for a treat afterwards. Exactly what treat, I'm not sure yet. Maybe I'll take her somewhere for ice cream, or else we'll go to Toys R Us and see if we can find a new Batman toy for her.




Alex woke up around 4:45 this morning. He didn't get fussy until 5:15, but I've still been awake for a long time already this morning.

But on the plus side, my knee is actually starting to feel somewhat better.

2 comments:

Ami said...

Okay, when I first read that I thought it said "We played until three last night" and I was like WOW. Heh. Whatever, I'm TIRED.

Anonymous said...

I used to make my little Doggy in Monopoly bark and wag his tail and chew on the Shoe, whenever they shared a square. (And pee on my big sister's Boardwalk hotel, when he landed there. :P )