Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Get What You Need

I had this post all planned out, last night. It was going to be an eloquent homage to the schedule of the modern mom, humorous and yet poignant. It probably would've won awards and made me semi-famous and snared me a blogging gig that would let me quit my job and stay home blogging and playing WoW all day.

But then the Suppurating Black Hole Of Doom that was today's probable (lack of) schedule sort of dried up and blew away like a dandelion seed to save its frustrations for another day, and I was left with a schedule that was merely agonizingly busy instead of one requiring that the first item on my day's to-do list be to kidnap Stephen Hawking and Neal Stephenson and lock them in a room together until they produce either a fully-functional time machine or a cloning device.

And I'm leaving in fifteen minutes for an appointment with an orthopedist to try to get my knee fixed. I am trying to not be pessimistic about this, but finding it difficult.

So in brief, the weekend: Mostly good, barring the bit where I tried to cut my thumb off. Penny went to a birthday party on Saturday and had great fun. Matt got Penny's inflatable swimming pool out on Sunday, though it wasn't quite warm enough for anyone but her to really enjoy it. Alex either had a brief cold or a fairly strong teething reaction, and we kept him home from school Monday, but he was clear-eyed and bushy-tailed this morning, so off to school he went.

There were many dark omens and near-disasters hovering over Penny's checkup with the endocrinologist yesterday (let's just say it's a good thing Matt and I built in a LOT of extra travel time), but it worked out. Her A1C was 8.2, which the doctor says is great for her age (they prefer little kids to run a bit high). He wants us to begin thinking about putting her on a pump, for greater control, but it's not going to be a short road. It starts with Matt or I attending a class about pumps, which they only hold once a month, on Thursday evenings, which isn't the most inconvenient they could be, but darned close. And when I tried to tell Penny about it, she kind of freaked out at the idea. Also, I'm going to have to take her down to the Oyster Point office for bloodwork on Thursday, which I'm not looking forward to. (It would've been yesterday, but we had promised her that she wasn't going to get an IV or a shot at the hospital, and the doctor was willing to back our promise. Which went a long way toward my liking him, even though I wish they'd told us what to expect in advance.)

No comments: