Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Happily Allied

I voted!

Penny's school is closed today for Election Day, so Matt is staying home with her. He agreed that they would take Alex to school, so I got to duck out of the house at ten minutes to seven so I could dash over to our voting place.

I wound up having to park a good two blocks from the school -- I couldn't even see it from where I parked. But I was in line (outside the school door and nearly to the far edge of the building) by just a smidge after seven, and being given a "sample" ballot by a "helpful" Republican.

My district only had three things to vote on: President, Senator, and Representative. No additional initiatives or proposals. So the line moved pretty fast. By 7:10, I was inside the building and out of the rain. The line moved through the lobby, down an adjacent hallway, and then all the way back up the same hallway before turning a corner into the cafeteria where the actual voting booths were. At 7:30 almost precisely, I fed my ballot to the machine and walked out. I was at work by 7:45.

Yay, me.

(The title of the blog post is a quote that goes something like, "In this, by coincidence, my duty and my pleasure are happily allied." But I can't for the life of me find it, or anything similar to it, on Google, and I'm beginning to wonder if I imagined it. If this rings a bell with you, too, please please post a comment and tell me what it's from before I go mad.)

2 comments:

Glossaria said...

Feh. I feel certain it's Shakespeare, and I was thinking Hamlet, but I can't find it.

Liz Brooks said...

The more I think about it, the more I think it might be closer to, "He seem to find his duty and his pleasure happily allied." Or possibly "aligned." Or possibly it's "by happy coincidence, allied." And the mental image I'm getting is smarmy, like it's a speech about how a bad guy got to hurt/kill someone on the good guy side and call it his "job"? Is this ringing more bells?

Dammit, I'm getting a headache from all this google searching on all the possible terms...