Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Pollsters

By the way, if you haven't already voted, then when you do go -- say a kind word to the people who are working the polls -- the line directors and the ID checkers and the ballot-distributors and all the others.

They are volunteers. They had to be at the polls at 4 this morning to set up, and they cannot leave the premises at all until all their district's votes have been tallied -- possibly not until midnight or later. Not even for meals -- they had to pack their breakfast, lunch, and dinner and bring it in.

I know all that because my parents are among them this year. (One of the guys I work with lives in the neighborhood next to my parents', and he came in this morning to tell me he saw my dad, who seemed to be having a great time. My dad has become a political activist in the last year or so -- he even let his chosen Representative candidate and his aides stay at their house. As a pollster, however, he's required to keep his political opinions to himself.)

So when you go to vote, tell those pollsters "thank you" for giving up their day for democracy.

No comments: