Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Iced

A friend at work is turning 40 today. As soon as she left the office yesterday, the practical jokers swung into action. An "Over the Hill" sign stands outside her office door, and her office itself is filled with black streamers and balloons. There are joke gifts, and every door in the office has a sign on it to alert everyone to the presence of the "elderly".

I thought she deserved at least one gift that didn't come with an old joke attached, so I stopped by Starbuck's on my way to work this morning and got her a gift certificate. (She's addicted to Starbuck's.)

As long as I was there anyway, I picked up an iced coffee for myself. It's something I don't have often, but always enjoy when I do, which strikes me as a bit odd, somehow.

When they called me to the counter to pick it up, I had my purse on my shoulder, the gift card and a pen in one hand, and my receipt in the other. I picked up my coffee, and the barista handed me a straw. I took it and tried to resort all the stuff in my hands, and the coffee, in its condensation-coated plastic cup, slipped.

"No, don't!" I gasped, and grabbed...

I looked down with an inward wince, expecting to see the floor -- and my pants -- covered with coffee and ice.

Instead, there was a plastic cup between my hands (not so much held as pinned). A few drops of coffee had been forced out through the straw hole, but the lid had held. There was no disaster. No mess.

I set the cup carefully back on the bar. The barista's eyes were wide. "That was impressive," she said.

"That was lucky," I corrected. I rearranged my stuff, took a more careful grip on my coffee, and headed out.

Almost a disaster, but saved at the last minute. If that's going to be the kind of day I'm having... I can live with that.

1 comment:

jenniebee said...

maybe it's a late manifestation of jedi powers. That's what I'd go with. We should totally test this by throwing beverages at you on important occasions - nothing could ever possibly go wrong with this plan.