Friday, April 10, 2009

Not The Best

Not the best start to the morning ever.

At some point, apparently, I turned off my alarm, so I didn't get up quite on time and the whole morning felt slightly rushed.

I stepped on the scale this morning and discovered that I've apparently gained back the pound that I lost last week.

Alex pitched a wobbly fit when I went into the kitchen to get everyone's lunches out of the fridge and take my meds.

Penny broke down in tears when I dropped her off at the daycare and had to be pried off me.

I am so. so. so ready for this weekend.




There is a picture I want to take. A very specific picture.

There are redbud trees all around here, especially along the edges of the roads. In the spring, when they're blooming, they look like this:



I love redbuds in the spring. They're sort of symbols of spring for me, and I love it when I come around a corner or over a rise and another spray of purple surprises me. (Pink dogwoods take me the same way, but they're much less common.) There's a thick cluster of redbuds just as I get on the interstate on my way to the gym or my allergist from work. On a clear day, it's an explosion of color that always brings a smile to my face.

My camera has a function that will take pictures in all black and white except the color you tell it to keep. I don't use it often because it's a pain to set up, but the results can be pretty interesting.

I very much want to take a picture of the trees along the road, that's all black and white except for the purple of the redbud flowers. I'd especially love to do it along that stretch of interstate, where there's so much purple to pick up, but really almost anywhere around here would work. We even have a redbud tree in our back yard (well, technically, it's in the neighbor's back yard, but it leans over our yard a bit), though the presence of houses and fences would sort of spoil the effect for me.

But it's not going to happen. Redbuds only bloom for a couple of weeks, and I saw this morning that they're starting to show green on their tops already. And it's going to be cloudy for the next few days, and...

Every year, I plan to take a picture of the tulip magnolias blooming in our neighborhood -- they're in full bloom for only a matter of days -- and every year, I miss that, too.

Why is this bothering me so much? Am I PMSing? Is it because I'm having a bad day or a stressful few weeks? Is it a metaphor for all the other things that I've let slip me by? Is this what my midlife crisis is going to be -- flower pictures? How stupid is that?

No comments: