Monday, January 11, 2010

Quiet and Calm

It was a quiet, calm weekend, which was just what I needed, I think.

We took the kids out a couple of times, mostly just to stave off cabin fever. We went out to lunch on Saturday to Penny's current favorite restaurant, Wasabi, where Matt and I confirmed that while we're getting pretty good at estimating carbs in small portions -- a serving of rice, a piece of sushi -- we're still pretty bad at eyeballing a whole plate. Where in the past we've guessed her plates of buffet food at 60-70g of carbs, this time we estimated carbs for each small item and added it all up on the placemat, and came up closer to 90. And lo and behold! her sugars were in-range when we checked later before snacktime. It's good to know, and now we don't have to scratch Chinese buffet off our list of potential restaurants for causing inexplicable blood sugar highs.

Sunday was the grocery store as usual in the morning, and then after lunch, while Alex was napping, I took Penny to Target, ostensibly to buy her some new shoelaces. But while we were there, she also spent half an hour poring over toys so she could spend all her remaining birthday and Christmas money that's been burning a hole in her pocket. (She was so funny, vibrating with indecision when it came down to the very last choice to make, but refusing all suggestions that she could, you know, walk away without spending the money.) And since they'd put all their winter clothes on clearance and I'd just been bemoaning the fact that I could use another couple of turtlenecks, I scoured the racks until I found a couple that will help keep me warm for the next two or three months.

Back to school, back to work today, as Penny says. This week should be pretty slow and uneventful, too. This is my heavy meeting week (I have a few meetings that are every-other-week, and they happen to all be on the same weeks) but there aren't too many documents on the schedule, so it should work out. Which on one hand is nice (it's good to be able to relax a little) but on the other hand is frustrating (because when I don't have work to do, I'm more likely to get snacky and sabotage the diet). Oh, well, at least I shouldn't have any problems digging up the time needed to hit the gym!

No comments: