Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Snooze

I went to bed at 9:30 last night. I just couldn't keep my eyes open. I woke up briefly around midnight, when Matt came to bed, but otherwise slept soundly straight through to this morning.

One day, I imagine I'll wake up feeling refreshed and ready to attack the day with vim and vigor... but that day was not today. I still want to crawl back into bed and go back to sleep for another couple of hours. Or days.

Penny asked me yesterday on the way to Alex's daycare if we could throw a Valentine's Day party and invite all our friends. I asked her who she wants to invite, and she said, "Jess and Ray. And you and Dad can invite your friends! And we could have some food. Some healthy snacks, and some treats! And! And Mom, do you know what kind of treats we should have?"

"What kind?"

"I'm going to spell it, so Alex doesn't get all crazy," she said. "C-U-P-C-A-K-E-S! With S-P-R-I-N-C-U-L-S!" (I was pretty impressed that she managed to spell that well, out loud. Especially once Alex decided it was a game of some sort and started shouting letters, too.)

"That sounds tasty," I agreed.

"And we can play games!" and she launched into a description that sounded a lot like how she plays with her friends anyway.

I think she's hoping for a big event, like our Christmas party, and I don't think I'm quite up to that on three weeks' notice. But I'm not averse to inviting Jess and Ray and maybe a few friends from school over for a Valentine's party. It could be cute.

(And when the kids have driven me crazy and I'm wondering why the hell I agreed to do this... You guys know I'd rather not be reminded, right?)

No comments: