Monday, June 28, 2010

I Can Haz Day Off?

We had a good weekend, but it alternated weirdly between frantic and dragging.

Saturday morning, once Matt was up, we packed up and went down to Yorktown Beach. There was some kind of festival going on, so it was more crowded than I'd hoped and we had to park a couple of blocks from the beach. But once we got there, the beach itself wasn't too bad, and we found a nice spot for our stuff. The kids had a great time splashing in the water and playing in the sand. I think Penny collected every shell fragment and rock she could see, and Alex exhibited his usual no-holds-barred, take-no-prisoners, show-no-fear approach to the water.


We were only there for an hour and a half, though -- by that time, Penny was done and I was starting to feel slightly crispy around the edges (though weirdly, when we got home we discovered that it was Matt and not me who'd developed a slight burn).

We didn't do much that afternoon, though we went to TGI Fridays for dinner. We hadn't been there since before Penny's diabetes diagnosis -- at first because they offer no nutrition information, and later because I was on a diet. But I thought I could work around the diet, and we have more experience with the whole estimating-carbs thing, so we gave it a try.

I talked seriously with Penny about trying to limit her carbs, because typically when we go out to eat she wants a cheeseburger and fries, and the combination of fatty fries and pure white bread bun just drives her blood sugar through the roof, sometimes for several days. So she decided to try the kids' portion of ribs, and I muscled her into having carrots and dip for her side order...

She loved the ribs. By the time she'd gotten to the second rib, she was sucking the bones like a pro. And she's a sucker for ranch dressing, so she didn't complain about the carrots, either. Matt and I estimated the carb load and crossed our fingers... and voila! her blood sugar was back in range by bedtime! It popped up a little for breakfast on Sunday, but came right back down by lunch. Wahey! I'm so glad to have found another restaurant option for her!

We didn't have anything on the schedule for Sunday, and after the past few weekends of craziness, I thought at first that I'd enjoy having nothing to do, but by the time Alex went down for his nap, I was getting stir-crazy. Matt and I talked about taking the kids to see Toy Story 3, but when Alex woke up, he was in a bit of a Mood. So Matt suggested that I take Penny to the movie by myself, but when I suggested it to her, she was decidedly lukewarm on the proposition, which kind of killed it.

Eventually, Matt loaded up the old Godzilla movie on Netflix and Penny got sucked into that, and while that was running, I texted Braz, so his circus came over (for the third weekend in a row, heh) and we all had hot dogs for dinner while the kids ran and shrieked and generally entertained themselves.

After they left, we got the kids to bed and made lunches for today and collapsed on the couch to watch Leverage.

Now it's Monday morning, and I feel like I need a day off to recover from my weekend. Alas, this week actually looks like it might be sort of busy at work, at least the first few days. At least next Monday is a holiday!

No comments: