Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Sweater

Last night, as we were going to bed, Matt said, "It's really stuffy in the kids' rooms. Penny's room is really hot. You don't think the AC is dying again, do you?"

I said, "Nah. Penny's room is always the hottest in the house, and it's been so hot the last couple of days, the AC probably just can't keep up, but I don't think it's broken."

On my way down the stairs this morning, I thought, Huhn. I'm actually comfortable and not slightly chilly. Then I thought, That doesn't bode well.

I found our thermometer (one of those plastic Galileo thermometers, but it's been accurate and reliable for nearly 10 years, which is more than I can say for any other thermometer I've ever had). I carried it out of the dining room and into the living room, and watched as the 76-deg bubble sank to the bottom... It was nearly 80 degrees in the living room. We keep the thermostat set at about 74, and my weather widget told me it was 78 outside. Okay, granted that the AC has trouble keeping up with really extreme temperatures, but four degrees shouldn't have been too difficult for it.

I pulled out the Wii Fit and started on my exercises. About halfway through, I noticed that the 80-deg bubble was slowly sinking. By the time I was done (and my morning exercise routine is less than 20 minutes) the 80-deg bubble was nestled at the bottom of the thermometer, putting the room's temperature somewhere between 82 and 84.

The AC is definitely broken. Sigh.

I've called the repair service, and the dispatcher told me I'm on the docket for today. She's supposed to call me at work and give me a 30-minute warning before they come over to the house.

Which means I really don't want to be too far from my desk today. The lows for the next couple of days are uncomfortably warm, and the highs are over 100. So I'm postponing my trip to the gym until after the AC is fixed, and if they don't call by about 12:30, I'll want to pack up and head home anyway, because I'm hosting a conference call at 1:30, and it will be easier for me to be there already than to hope they don't call while I'm in the meeting.

Oy. Gonna be a fun day.

No comments: