Monday, July 19, 1999

I had a pretty good weekend. Friday evening I was talking to K.T. on the phone and got the distinct impression that she was feeling a little under the weather, so I suggested a movie. Matt and I picked her up and we went to see Tarzan, which was actually quite good. Very little singing for a Disney movie - or at least, very little from the screen characters. I liked that. And I was very impressed with the way they handled languages - that if a human other than Tarzan was in a scene, then the animals talking to each other actually sounded like animals. I had wondered if they were going to try to fit in the whole "missing Lord Greystoke" thing along with the origin story, but they didn't try. It's probably just as well - it would have made the action too rushed.

Saturday my AD&D game kicked off. It seemed to go pretty well, except that I didn't have enough planned. It's been a while since I GM'ed on anything like a regular basis; I'd forgotten how quickly players can scythe through a plot. But my brother just e-mailed me about ten of his favorite modules (he wrote them; I'm not talking about copyright infringement, here!) so hopefully I'll be able to adapt some of them. And I need to come up with crit tables, pronto! But everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, at least.

Sunday we ran a bunch of errands, and then - because I had 20 Weight Watcher's points left for the day, we went to Ben and Jerry's for some ice cream. Yum! There's something about eating fattening food as part of your diet that makes it taste even better. I had my ice cream in a chocolate-dipped waffle cone, but I've decided I won't do that again; I actually like the plain waffle cones better. (I know, I'm a mutant.)


I got Richard and Carl up on my Who's Who page, finally, and I had a funny thought while I was writing them up. Carl is very tall and very thin, and Richard is sortof short and stocky. I want to take a picture of them standing next to each other and then doctor the picture to be Don Quixote and Sancho Panza. It was just a thought.


Today after work Matt and I are meeting Ken (our loan officer) at the model house so we can finalize things for our mortgage loan. For one thing, the loan rates have started going back up, so we want to lock in our rate! Of course we'll be stopping at our house while we're there, so you can probably expect to see new pictures if they've done any work. There are also a stack of questions that we need to remember to ask and reminders to make: Why is the frame for our pantry so much smaller than the one in the model office? Remember to run a heating vent into the garage, but cover it over with a metal plate. Remember that we'd wanted a driveway wide enough to support two vehicles. And for pete's sake, remember that I want the second shelf of the kitchen cabinets lowered!

No comments: