Wednesday, July 28, 1999

I left work at four yesterday to go to the gym. Rode the stationary bike for 25 minutes, then went to Weight Watcher's. At Weight Watcher's I learned that the leader was sick and couldn't find a replacement, so there was no charge for the meeting, and that despite not sticking to my diet very well this weekend I didn't gain any weight, which was nice. Then I went home and read for a little while. Let the cat out, then in, then back out again, and decided that I'd lie down for a while.

The next thing I knew, there's a weird noise right next to my head which I realized later was Matt picking up my book and my glasses and putting them on my nightstand for me. I rolled over, and Matt suggested I go back to sleep. Well, all right...

Suddenly, it was after eight. I got up for a couple of hours to make "pizzas" out of leftover hamburger buns, spaghetti sauce, and cheddar cheese. It took me a while to fall asleep when I went back to bed at ten, but I feel much better this morning, so essentially losing an entire evening was worth it.


We had lunch with my parents yesterday. They'd stopped by the house before coming in to the restaurant, and apparently they've begun running the electrical wires. Hooray! Matt and I will stop by soon, so you can expect an update to the house pictures any time now.

In yesterday's mail were envelopes from Ken (our loan officer) and Nancy (our realtor). Ken's envelope contained a new estimate of closing costs and monthly payments, based on our new mortgage rate, and a few things for us to sign. Nancy's envelope contained an addendum to contract which we had requesteed, and a limited disclosure that one of the partners of the firm who will be closing the deal on the house for us has an interest in the housing development. We don't much like the sound of that, so Matt is going to call her today and find out some more details before we sign it.

Dad suggested at lunch that we should start packing things that we won't need for the next month, like books. First of all, it's obvious that Dad has no idea how much I read in a month. (Though there are books I almost certainly won't want to read for the next month or so.) Second - I have no idea where we'd put packed books. We're planning on packing the paperbacks, at least, in paper bags. I discovered years ago that that's a good way to pack books, because one bag full of books is about as much as anyone wants to carry at a single time, and paperbacks are almost exactly as tall as grocery store bags are wide, so they fit nicely. But if I fill a bag with books, there isn't a single space in the apartment that I could stack that bag where we wouldn't be tripping over it. Lack of space is most of the reason we're moving! Well, maybe if I did it carefully, I could put the bagged books back on the bookshelves, I suppose. We really ought to be doing something, now that we're down to a month.

Less than a month! Four weeks from today, exactly, is our scheduled closing! I'm getting excited.

No comments: