Friday, August 27, 1999

Here we go! After a rather exhausting range of emotion yesterday morning and afternoon, the status on the house is this: We will do the walkthrough with the builder this afternoon, move in this weekend, and then close early next week. The reason for this somewhat topsy-turvey order is that they couldn't get our paperwork done in time for us to close today, but we threatened to be irritable at them again, and they agreed to let us move in anyway.

Since moving this weekend was really my primary goal (so we could make the most of our friends' offers of help and not waste the time of friends coming from as far away as New York and South Carolina, not to mention all over the state of Virginia) I'm actually happy with this. I don't care when they take our money, as long as we get the keys.


My journal hasn't spanned a Christmas yet, but if it had, you'd know that I am extraordinarily enthusiastic about the winder holiday season. (Understand - various of the decisions I made about the new house were made entirely on the basis of my Christmas decorating plans.)

I told you that so you'll understand this: I feel like it's Christmas morning. I slept last night as if this were Christmas morning, in fact, which is to say I got a couple of naps and was up before the sun. My stomach is fluttery with excitement. I can barely contain myself from shouting at Matt to hurry up and take his shower so we can go shopping.


It's just so nifty. Not only are we going to be moving, but we'll get an instant housewarming party - counting us and my parents, somewhere between 15 and 20 people are going to be chipping in. Many of us went to college at William and Mary together, and this is almost going to be a reunion. (It makes up, even, for missing my high school reunion, which is tomorrow night.) Jeff even called last night to say he'd finally gotten permission to take today and Monday off so he could come up. (Jeff's plans for any given weekend are always in doubt until Thursday. Being a research assistant graduate student really sucks.)

I'm babbling, of course.


So today will be busy. After Matt and Karen (who arrived from New York yesterday) get dressed, we'll go down to Newport News to Sam's Club to pick up some necessary staples like toilet paper, plastic plates and cups, and sodas. Because we couldn't change the appointment without a lot of hassle, we have to be at the house starting at noon, because the cable company is going to show up between noon and 4 to hook up our cable. Our refrigerator will be delivered sometime after two. Our walkthrough officially starts at two, and after that we'll be going down to my parents' house to get our dining room set, washer, and dryer. (Exactly who goes depends on whether the cable and 'fridge have already been put in - until those are done, someone has to stay at the house to let them in.) Once that's done, depending on the time, we may or may not try to move some of the more awkward stuff over from the apartment.

I'm babbling again.


Merry Christmas!

No comments: