Tuesday, August 31, 1999

This journal entry has been transcribed from the paper journal I kept while I was offline. There were frequent interruptions, so if bits sound incomplete, that's because they were left unfinished while writing, not because I forgot to type them up.

3:00 PM: We spent most of yesterday unpacking and wating anxiously for the guy to come fix the AC. He finally showed up around 3:30 - after Matt and I had left to go to closing.

But starting bright and early at about 8:15, a bunch of people arrived to do other things - install the stove, put up toilet paper holders, and add doorknobs. (Yes, we finally have doorknobs!)

We went to closing at 4, turning over a lot of money and signing a lot of paperwork. It went pretty quickly, though - it was just us and the lawyer and we were out of there by 4:45.

Today has been devoted to further unpacking, though the AC guy came back right at 8 and took about half an hour to find the problem, fix it, and get muddy water everywhere in my kitchen.

(My kitchen. I like the sound of that.)

Around nine, we both went down to the DMV to get new driver's licenses. After that, we came home to unpack. Actually, Matt's been doing most of the unpacking. I've been off running errands. Went to Lowe's to get a number of things - most notably blinds for the windows and an extension hose for the washer. (We've finally done the laundry!) Then to KMart for some other odds and ends.

I've been slowly organizing the kitchen, and Matt has been industriously organizing upstairs. Of course we got the computers set up fairly quickly, but I haven't posted to my online journal because Matt's been working in the office, and I don't want to get in his way.

There goes the dryer buzzer - that's the last of the laundry!

5:00 PM: And now I'm making dinner - after I put away the laundry, we went down to the office to turn in our time sheets (today was the last day of the pay period) and then to the apartment to check the mail and return the broiler pan (it came with the place but was accidently packed.)

This will be the first dinner in our new house that I've cooked (as opposed to brought back from some place or re-heated) but I'm afraid it isn't very special, since we still haven't gone to the grocery store: fish (breaded fillets; it's the only way I can eat it), mashed potatoes (with lots of butter to mask the fact that I don't have any milk to reconstitute the flakes with), and corn.

No comments: