Tuesday, August 17, 1999

They actually worked on the house yesterday! As we were walking up what will eventually be the driveway, Matt looked up and said in an aggrieved tone, "What's this junk all over the siding?" I looked down at the fluff I was standing on and suddenly realized: insulation!

This is not the traditional rolls of fiberglass fluff. This is gypsum - it looks, essentially, like pocket lint, only lots more of it. Jeremy has encountered it before - apparently it's sortof sticky (Matt and I didn't try to touch it) and he explained that you install it by using a huge blower to blow it up on the walls, then take a board or other conveniently flat thing to scrape off the excess. Which explains the state of the kitchen, which I described in a bout of rare wit as looking like a giant malevolent dryer had burped in it. (Matt one-upped me by suggesting that it looked more like the giant dryer had barfed.)


Of course, the glee of finally seeing progress on our house faded slightly when we got home to discover that the apartment maintenance crew didn't listen when we told them that the water was seeping up under the floor. They'd fixed a leaky pipe in the air conditioner, which was good, but last week we'd had it explained to us that the water seepage actually came from under the apartment, and was due to a clogged drainage pipe. So we made a few irritable phone calls, and hopefully today they'll get someone in the place with a shop-vac, because it's really sopping wet. Carpets are not supposed to splash.



Despite sleeping just fine most nights, I'm tired all the time. Matt and I are both cranky and irritable and we're starting to snipe at each other over stupid, trivial things. And we're both breaking out like teenagers. (For petesake, I'm almost 28! Don't zits ever go away?)

Eight days to closing... Eight days to closing... I only need strength for eight more days...


I'm supposed to go to the gym after work today, but I forgot my book. I loathe exercising, so I don't know if I can keep it up as long without a good distraction. Maybe I'll stop by the house and pick up a book. (There are a few that haven't been packed yet.) Of course, if I go home, I'm not going to want to turn around and go to the gym, either. ::sigh:: And there are a handful of errands I'd wanted to run this evening: I need to go to Staples for packing tape and coin wrappers, stop by the house to see the progress, and go to Roses for, um... There was something I wanted to go to Roses for, dammit.

Oh, well. We'll see when we get there.

No comments: