Thursday, August 5, 1999

Matt and I stopped by the house yesterday after work. It didn't look like anything has been done yet this week, but I wasn't too upset, really - I think they have to wait for the electrical inspector to come in. I had been hoping that they would have fixed the pantry - the blueprint had shown a width, but not a depth, for the kitchen pantry, and so they'd just nailed the doorframe to the closest available stud, which left the pantry (after they put up the drywall) only about eight inches deep. Nancy had talked to Donald, and he'd promised to get the framing crew out there to fix it, but it hadn't been done yet.

I was looking around, hoping to find evidence of some sort of work, when Matt started drumming his fingers against the side of the stairs. The drumming got faster and harder and I turned around, and he was staring furiously at the stairs, so I came around to look. Someone (Ricky T. McKehan) had signed his name, and his wife's (Karen Marie McKehan). At least, we assume they were married and that he signed. Both names are in the same hand, and it looks more like a man's signature than a woman's. But for all we know, Karen could have masculine handwriting and been signing for her brother. At any rate, Matt was furious. I was annoyed, but not too concerned about it - the drywall will cover it up, after all.

Still, I called Nancy to complain about everything. Yesterday was exactly three weeks before closing, and they still haven't started putting up drywall! (If we knew what the schedule was supposed to be, then we could wait to get nervous until they were behind schedule. But since we don't know what their schedule is, we'll just be nervous until we've moved in.) She called Donald on her other line while I was still on the phone, and came back to tell me that 1) They're planning on beginning insulating Monday, after which they can begin putting up drywall, 2) the framing crew had been putting the second story up on a house elsewhere in the development, but should get to my pantry by the end of the week, and 3) Donald was almost as annoyed by the petty vandalism as Matt was, but he didn't know anyone named Rick or Ricky in the building crew, so it wasn't one of them. She also reassured me that they had just paid the water meter hookup fee, which was necessary before I could have our water service connected.


I started packing last night. Not much, though it felt like it at the time. I discovered a few years ago that standard-sized paperback books fit perfectly into paper grocery bags. My parents gave me a big stack of paper bags, so yesterday I packed all but about ten of our paperbacks. (Some of the ten were left out because I might want to read them in the next three weeks. The rest were left because they were tucked away in hiding places, so I didn't find them until later.) Luckily, once I'd packed enough of them, some of the packed books fit back on the shelves.

I wound up with six bags of books (five with paperbacks, and one bag of Time-Life books that just happened to fit perfectly in the grocery bags as well) and two bags of videotapes. That only covers about half the video collection, though. There's still a lot left to do. Only two shelves even really look empty! I hadn't realized how many hardback and weirdly-sized books we have. And even the videotapes are in three different sizes, only the smallest of which packs neatly in the paper bags. Oh, well. I knew it wouldn't stay that easy. That's why I started now, instead of waiting until the week before the move. This weekend, Matt and I are going to finally get around to mailing our old computer to his grandfather (we promised it to him back at Christmas) and that will free up quite a bit of floor space in the computer room. The amount of stuff that still needs to be done is sortof mind-boggling, though.


I started teaching myself JavaScript yesterday - it's easier than I thought it would be. I had looked before at the scripts people use, and it seemed like they needed twenty lines of script just to have an image change when you point the mouse at it. But I managed it yesterday in only four lines. Even if I pre-load the images, I can't see that it will take that many more lines. At any rate, you may see some new and spiffy stuff here in a week or so.

No comments: