Tuesday, August 3, 1999

My current task lead wandered into my office yesterday and asked me how everything was going. I stared at him for a second, then said, "Um, well, I e-mailed you that Request document that I was filling out because I need your input to finish it. I was waiting for you to get that back to me."

He said, "Yeah, I got that. But now they've decided that they're not going to bother with the whole update thing."

"Are you telling me that I just wasted the last two weeks' worth of work?"

"Um... Yeah."

A long pause... "So. What's next?"

"Well, what are you working on now?"

I stare at him disbelievingly. "Nothing, now."

"Nothing?"

"Well, no. I mean, I hadn't been working on anything for two or three weeks before Del finally asked you to find me something to do."

It didn't get a lot better from there on out, either. So I'm still not working on anything. But I got a lot done for the house!


I called all the utilities places (except the cable company) and arranged everything. I encountered three different varieties of being on hold, and have decided that I definitely prefer the sort with no music.

Also, Matt had measured all of our living room furniture Sunday night, so I made little cut-outs to the scale of our blueprints and we played with various arrangements for the living room. He thinks maybe sometime soon he'll measure the rest of the furniture so we can do this for all of our stuff. Making to-scale drawings of a room and cut-outs of the furniture is something that I first did when K.T. and I shared one bedroom in an apartment and we were trying to figure out if our two double beds would fit if we put the headboards against the smaller end of the room's rectangle. (The answer was yes, with about eight inches to spare.)

I also got a notebook in which I can keep track of things as they come up, and at Matt's brilliant suggestion, made To-Do pages for each of the weekends between now and the move, and for each individual day between closing and the move (since those are likely to be busy days.) I started making a list of the various people and companies who should be sent change-of-address cards, and got the bright idea of looking through our checkbook registers - at least that would be a good list of the places we might owe money!


Okay, I'm sorry, I'll shut up.

For now.

No comments: