Monday, August 9, 1999

This was the weekend for bad drivers. Saturday, we wound up stuck behind a tourist from Ohio who had no idea where he was going, and who eventually earned from us an enthusiastic ovation by: 1) turning left against a red light, 2) from the right (non-turning) lane, 3) cutting us off in the process.

As we were coming home from K.T. and Kevin's Saturday night, four cars passed us going at least 20 mph faster than we were going, in a construction zone. (And those of you who know me can be reasonably certain that I wasn't exactly puttering along.) These were not four cars travelling in caravan, either; they all had enough time and distance between them to be on separate urgent missions. I can only assume that Saturday night was a busy night for the maternity ward and/or the emergency room.

The crowning achievement, however, was Sunday night, on our way home from my parents' house, when I looked in my rear-view mirror and was confronted with a pair of glowing yellow parking lights undimmed by headlights. This was not a twilight situation - it was about 8:45 and had been dark enough to require headlights for at least half an hour. The parking lights came closer, disappeared, and then a van passed me. I slid behind it and flashed my highbeams at them several times, trying to impart a message, but they remained safely oblivious until about a mile from our exit, when I finally saw a glow burst forth from the front of the vehicle.


It was a moderately productive weekend as far as the house was concerned. We bought a refrigerator and arranged to have it delivered to the house on the 27th, the day before we move. We bundled my old computer into the car and had it shipped off to Matt's grandfather (we'd promised it to him last Christmas.) I know that doesn't sound like something to do with the house, but it was: We realized we had to either ship it off, or move it! And we packed another dozen bags of books. We've made jokes about using the filled bags to build a fort, but I think there'll be only another five or so bags until we're done! Well, and then there's the videos, so we may have our fort yet! This week's job is to arrange for a U-Haul truck, finish packing the books and videotapes, and to start clearing off the dining table, which is a fairly major project in and of itself.

Last night at my parents', we pulled all of the wedding presents we left there out. (There were things that simply would not fit in our apartment, and things that we decided we didn't need until after we'd moved. We didn't expect it to take so long, though.) I'd forgotten how much stuff was left over there, though. Boxes of towels, wine glasses, serving platters and bowls, candles and candlesticks, dishes... Just a lot of stuff. It'll be kindof fun to bring it home and figure out where to put it all, because it's all new.

Gods, but I hope they finish this house on time. I do not want to go through all this twice. And we're only two weeks (and two days) from closing.

No comments: