Saturday, August 28, 1999

This journal entry has been transcribed from the paper journal I kept while I was offline. There were frequent interruptions, so if bits sound incomplete, that's because they were left unfinished while writing, not because I forgot to type them up.

9:55 AM: Well, I'm sitting alone at my new house. Braz, Kris, Jen, and Karen decided to go out for breakfast. Matt and Jeff just left to pick up the U-Haul. From there they'll go back to the apartment. The boys stayed at the house last night, without much planning, so Matt wanted to go back to the apartment for a change of clothes and a quick shower.

I'm here because the fridge (which was supposed to be delivered yesterday) is due any time between now and later this afternoon, and I paged Donald a bit ago because I'd like to ask him some questions. (Namely, the stove is here, but not installed, none of the interior doors have doorknobs, and there are a few other minor things we'd like to see cleared up.


Yesterday was moderately hellish. Because Cox was going to show up any time between noon and four, Matt, Karen and I were on site at noon, even though our walkthrough was scheduled for 2. It was very hot. I think I want to go back to moving in the winter.

Anyway, between the last-minute compromises to get the inspections okayed, the unfinished stuff, and the heat, we were all a little irritable. When Cox finally showed up, they said they couldn't do anything until we'd closed on the house, so they made a new appointment for next Friday, and left. The phone company came and couldn't figure out where to hook up our line, so we've got a temporary drop cable running through our backyard. Also, the guy they sent knew nothing about our second line. (I should call about that soon.)

I just called. They had messed up the directions I gave for the dual service, so it will be connected on Monday. I guess that will do - we've been fine with just one line up until now.

So anyway, after standing outside for most of two hours (except for a while when we were at the model office) we finally had our walkthrough.

By then, we were expecting people to show up (I'd left my cell phone number on the answering machine at home so we could be reached to schedule our closing.) My dad, against our plan, had already loaded some stuff in his truck (he's excited, I can tell) and he and Mom came up. K.T. came over after she got off work. Jeff showed up while they were getting stuff out of Dad's truck.

By this time, having eaten nothing all day but breakfast and a few chips, I was nauseous from heat exhaustion. After Matt went home to change into cooler clothes, and it looked like the remaining crewmen were just about done coming in and out constantly, I closed the doors and windows and turned on the AC.

When Matt got home, K.T. and I were in the kitchen, which was the coolest place in the house. Matt stormed in and demanded to know why we'd turned the AC on. He railed about the power bill and leakage until I finally figured out that one of the workmen had come through the front door and left it open.

He was so grumpy that when Shbee called to say that he'd forgotten his directions back in DC, K.T. volunteered to go get him from the Taco Bell he was calling from; and I went out and sat on Dad's tailgate to watch him, Karen, and Jeff wrestling with the washer and dryer.

Thank goodness Braz and Kris arrived soon after - being with Braz always cheers Matt up. (I joked last night that Braz and Matt should be married. It got a lot of funny looks.)

Anyway, suffering from a touch of heat exhaustion himself, my dad finished up as much as he could and then headed home with Mom.

Matt explained to everyone that the directions that came with the dining-room chairs were wrong (I'll leave it to him to explain, if he likes) and then we went back to the apartment.

Well, it's 10:30 and Becky just pulled up, so I'll finish later.

No comments: