Saturday, August 14, 1999

Last week on the Dairy mailing list, I promised to provide a link to all those who could correctly tell me what went wrong in the following proof:

Given: A = B
Multiply both sides by A A2 = B * A
Subtract B2 from both sides A2 - B2 = (B * A) - B2
Factor each side (A + B) (A - B) = B * (A - B)
Divide (A - B) from both sides A + B = B
Substitute B for A B + B = B
Simplify 2B = B
Divide B from both sides 2 = 1

The first correct answer came from Susan of luminous. Also answering correctly were Matt Sturges, Simon, and Athelred, who didn't give me a link.

What's that? You want to know what the answer is? Well, write me and I might tell you.


The was a fantastic thunderstorm early Saturday morning. It was around 4 in the morning, and I was floating in that sleep-state where you're aware of what's going on in the real world, but are too lethargic to do anything about it. Suddenly, there was this terrific CRACKPOW!rumblerumblerumble for a bolt that must have formed less than a hundred yards from our bedroom window. It was a loud as a gunshot and at least twice as startling. I jumped all the way up to the ceiling and hovered there for a minute. Matt - who had been completely awake already - only jumped a little, and then he comforted me for a bit before suddenly realizing that the cat was outside.

I'm curled into a fetal ball, near to crying with adrenaline shock, and he gets up to let the cat in. And then he decides to towel the dripping creature off before coming back to bed. I spent the longest two minutes of my life curled up in the center of the bed thinking, "Oh, please, let him come back to bed before the next bolt hits and kills us..."

As a rule, I'm not afraid of thunderstorms. I actually think they're pretty neat. But that one was special.


There were, in fact, four separate thunderstorms on Saturday. Maybe five - you lose count after a while. The sky would go dark and evil-looking, we'd shut down the computers, it would start raining, and for a half hour or so it would rain very hard and we'd hear lots of rumbling thunder, and then the thunder would slacken off, then the rain, and an hour after it all started the sun would be shining brightly. An hour and a half later, the sky would go dark again. It was like that all day.

At first I thought it was neat, and then I just got bored with it.

And of course, all that rain filled the temporary drain ditch that had fixed the problem that caused water to seep up through our hall floor in the apartment, so our floor is once again soaked through. Gods, but I can't wait to get out of there!


Last night Matt took me to see Mystery Men, which is a hysterically funny movie about a band of not-so-super heroes. I loved it. It was cheesy; it was campy; it was loads of fun. Just as an example, there's a bit in the beginning when the main characters have an argument about the city's primary super hero, Captain Amazing. Captain Amazing's "secret identity" is a billionare named Lance. The argument goes something like this:
Mr. Furious: Captain Amazing is Lance.
The Shoveler: He can't be! Lance wears glasses! Captain Amazing doesn't!
Mr. Furious: He takes them off when he changes!
The Shoveler: That's ridiculous! He wouldn't be able to see anything!

Or later, as they decide they need to enlarge their crime-fighting band:
The Blue Raja: We could get the Sphinx. He's from down south somewhere.
Mr. Furious: What's his super power?
The Blue Raja: I've heard he's terribly mysterious.
Mr. Furious: That's it? He's mysterious?
The Blue Raja: Terribly mysterious.

It was worth the price of a ticket. And the popcorn. I was still giggling as I went to sleep. If you like comic books at all, go see it!


Friday night Matt and I decided to go visit K.T., who's been having a rough week or two. We hopped into my car and headed on down the road, and we'd gotten all of about two hundred yards when I realized that there was no light coming from the headlights, because I couldn't see anything. I fiddled with things and discovered that the parking lights and high-beams still work fine, but not the regular headlights. Well, there was no way we were going to drive half an hour down the interstate at night with nothing buy parking lights and high-beams, so we turned around and went back home.

My life has been like that, lately: Stuff goes wrong, but not wrong enough that I can really feel irritable about it. Just sortof grumbly.

No comments: