Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Essence of the Word

Alex is finally starting to talk. I couldn't tell you what his first word was, because he edged into it so slowly and I have no idea when his random syllables actually started to sound like parts of real words. He's got a dozen or so baby words now. Hard as it is to understand, I find myself amused by the baby words. They're like the distilled essence of the actual words. "Na" for "banana", for instance. "Cheerio" is rendered as "yo", which I find utterly adorable.

He can also say "eye" and "nose" almost intelligibly. "Mama" is a sort of blanket word that means lots of different things that start with the "m" sound -- Mama, or mouth. (Of course, he still calls Matt "Mama" and me "Dada" sometimes, so we're not sure how solid he with that one.)

There's "baba", which is either "bubble" or "bottle" or "bye-bye" -- it takes some context to figure out which.

And the ubiquitous "baw" (ball), and also "na-na" for "night-night".

He'll be competing with his sister to fit those words in edgewise into every little silence pretty soon!

No comments: