Monday, May 11, 2009

Mama

I had a good weekend.

Matt sent me flowers at work on Friday for Mother's Day. This time, instead of cut flowers, he sent a potted miniature rosebush. It's really beautiful; let's hope I can keep it alive!



Saturday, Alex's daycare held a little carnival for their students and families. It was lots of fun, actually -- they had games set up, and some firemen there to show off their truck and gear, and some Humane Society volunteers with puppies and guinea pigs for the kids to pet (and try to talk their parents into adopting) and plenty of food.

Alex didn't really know what to do with himself -- mostly he just charged around the playground and his classroom, giggling at all the people. Penny got her face painted and spent a lot of time petting puppies. I took my phone with me, but forgot to take pictures. All in all, it was a lot of fun.

Sunday was Mother's Day, of course. I slept in (or tried to; Penny woke me up at six, playing in the bathroom, and after I got up to tell her to go play in her room, I don't think I ever actually went back to sleep, though it was nice to lounge around in bed and be lazy for a while). When I got up, Penny and Matt were just putting the finishing touches on my breakfast. They'd planned to bring it upstairs for me to have in bed, but since I was up, they brought it to me on the couch, instead.

Matt and I had talked about the old doughnut tradition -- if two years of something can be called a tradition. We missed it last year because Penny's diabetes diagnosis was still pretty fresh and we weren't too comfortable with giving her that much sugar -- and Alex was only a few months old, and not likely to take the drive with aplomb. This year, I'm on a diet, and doughnuts are a lot of points. I told Matt that if Penny was really set on doughnuts, to just get me one, instead of buying a whole box to bring home.

But they'd managed to avoid it, so instead of a doughnut, I had two pieces of cinnamon toast, some strawberries, and a glass of milk. (All of which was about the same points as the doughnut, but didn't leave me feeling like I needed more.)

Penny breathlessly presented me with a whole pile of tissue-wrapped gifts (mostly pictures she had drawn for me) and a card she'd made. Matt got me a spa gift certificate, and some new cookie sheets, and a doohickey so I can listen to my iPhone/iPod in the car. Alex gave me hugs and kisses.

We went over to John and Sam's for an early dinner, which was nice -- the whole family hasn't been together for some time. Excellent food, and we enjoyed chatting (except for Penny, who didn't get to dominate the conversation and thus was pretty bored -- but after dinner, my dad took her outside and she got to pet the dog who lives next door).



So, all in all, a darned good weekend.

1 comment:

jenniebee said...

I got my first Mother's Day card ever! It was from the dog. She is a very good dog to think of things like that. I usually think of cards as expensive and clutter-prone paper, but I want to keep this one forever.

P.S. if you want to keep a rosebush alive you have to plant it in the yard. Trust me, there is no other way.