Friday, August 21, 2009

Cruel Eld

My new reading glasses are going to take some getting used to.

I had thought, when I ordered them, that I'd be able to use them for being on the computer, as well, and thus about 85% of my working day. Alas, the reading glasses are useful to exactly the tips of my fingers when I reach my arm out in front of me, and my computer monitor at work is a good foot and a half or two feet further away than that, when I'm sitting back and have the keyboard tray pulled out.

So either I need to rearrange my desk to bring the monitor closer, or I'm switching back and forth rather more frequently than I'd like, or I'm just sucking it up and using my "normal activity" glasses for reading at work. I'm still playing around with it; I'll figure it out eventually.

They worked fairly well at the gym (I read while I'm working out) though I had to take them off whenever I was actually walking anywhere or risk bumping into things. Walking back to the car, carrying my book, iPhone, headphones, glasses, and keys in my tired and sweaty hands, I dropped the phone twice and began to consider the notion that I need a small bag to carry my workout gear around with me.

After I'd showered and changed, though, I thought I'd take a stab at writing for an hour or so, so I pulled my laptop onto my lap and then put on the reading glasses, and ZWOM! the screen was suddenly enormous and I could see the actual pixels making up the letters on the screen. No, seriously, the screen was magnified by at least 5%, which doesn't sound like much but was actually quite shocking.

I observed as much to my twitter feed, then realized that being excited about reading glasses is quite likely the oldest thing I've ever done.

And the fact that I'm hoping to spend a significant portion of the weekend sleeping and reading is not helping my case any, I suspect.

Ah, well. If I actually worried about getting old, I'd be a lot older already.

No comments: