Thursday, August 13, 2009

L00tz

Penny had a good birthday, it seems. She was pleased with the stuffed animals and the last Magic Trixie book that she didn't have yet from Matt and I; she seemed pleased with the clothes and books and stuff that arrived from Grandpa Brooks and Aunt Rachael; and she was quite excited by the stuff that arrived from Karen (though I understand there's still one item on its way).

Karen asked me what Penny wanted for her birthday, and I told her, "She likes Batman. And pink glittery girly stuff, and (because of this Secret Garden key necklace) she'd probably love a little locking box. I dunno. It was easier when she liked Superman, honestly, because I can find Supergirl stuff, which is the Superman logo in pink. Ideally, she'd get stuff with a pink Batman logo on it, but that merchandise does not exist. So... I have no idea. Other than she likes Batman, and pink glittery girly stuff."

And damn me if Karen didn't take up the challenge and find it.


It's a cape with a pink Batman logo. (It's reversible, even -- the other side has a pink Superman logo.)

And also two pink Batman logo decals, though I don't have pictures of those because they're not normal stickers and Matt and I are going to have to help her apply them, and she's still thinking about what she wants a six-inch-long pink Batman logo attached to. (She first asked if she could stick it to herself, actually. I told her to go back to the drawing board.)

Karen also sent her a quite adorable pink glittery girly jewelry box with a diary in it. Never let it be said that Karen does not pay close attention to what she's told.

Penny's friend Ray showed up while she was opening presents, and we let him stick around for it. I think he was slightly overwhelmed by all the pink.

And I want to know what is up with clothes! Penny's size 5 shirts are starting to trend a little small and show her belly out the bottom, so we told everyone who asked that she's in a kid's size 6 now. Matt's dad dutifully sent size 6 clothes, and the shirt looks like it'll fit just great, and the dress, but the pants... letting the cuffs brush the floor, the waistline comes up to Penny's armpits. WTF??? Penny's a touch on the short side, but she's hardly tiny. And they're flared cuffs, so I don't know how much success I'll be able to have hemming them up. We'll see, I guess. She may end up spending another winter in skirts and tights.

So today: Crazy work, and also go to the gym. Tonight: Make cake, and frost it. Note to self: reserve a few points for licking the bowl.

Tomorrow: More crazy work, plus an eye exam. (When you realize you're squinting at the eye doctor's reminder postcard, that's probably a sign.) Tomorrow night: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (for which we have to go all the way down to Hampton, which is why I'm frosting the cake tonight).

Saturday morning: Finish decorating cake, assemble deli platter, hope Alex is up for either an early or a late nap. Saturday afternoon: Party from 12:30 to 2:30, then probably back to our house so Alex can nap and Penny and Jess and Ray can run off the sugar and the grownups can talk. Saturday evening: Penny goes home with Jess for a sleepover.

Sunday morning: I do the grocery shopping a bit early, then head down to Chesapeake to pick Penny up. Or, depending on how desperate KT's tweets are, I head down to Chesapeake to pick Penny up and then do the grocery shopping a bit late.

And thus end the festivities. Expect pictures on Monday.

No comments: