Thursday, August 6, 2009

Eat Your Cake

Penny has very specific requests for her birthday cake, this year. She wants strawberry cake, with chocolate icing and yellow icing roses on it.

I called half a dozen bakeries yesterday, and not one of them could give me a strawberry cake base. They couldn't even put red food coloring into a white cake base so I could pretend (since I'm pretty sure Penny would not know the difference). Which made sense for the grocery store bakeries that get their cakes pre-made elsewhere, but I was a little eye-rolly about the specialty bakery in town not being able to do it for me.

The specialty bakery will, however, sell me pre-made icing roses, for 25 and 50 cents apiece (depending on size). So I do believe I will be making Penny's birthday cake by hand again this year, and it will be strawberry cake with chocolate icing and yellow roses. (Unless, of course, she changes her mind between now and this weekend, when I go to the grocery store and buy the cake mix.)




We ended up with not just Jill, but Braz for dinner last night. I had to make some last-minute changes to my planned menu, but aside from having Matt stop at the store to pick up some more vegetables, it wasn't too disruptive.

After dinner, we sat around and talked, and put the kids to bed, then sat around and talked some more, until Jill and Braz headed out again a bit after 9. Then I took a shower and Matt and I watched Leverage. (Not their best episode, though it had some truly wonderful bits. And I think I spotted their strategy for trying to hide the fact that the actress playing Sophie is pregnant.)

When that was done, I uploaded some pictures I took on my lunch break yesterday (flowers and bugs, cropped nice and close -- one day, I'll get myself an actual macro lens, but they're expensive). I liked the bee picture best, but this morning two of my dragonfly shots had comments from people I don't know.

And then we went to bed. Zzz. Not a terribly exciting evening, but all in all, a good one.

No comments: