Wednesday, August 12, 2009

So today is Penny's sixth birthday. She's been very excited for it all week, and was so keyed up last night that I wasn't sure she'd go to sleep. (Oddly, she went to sleep even faster than usual, forgoing her near-habitual claim of a blood sugar low around 8:45.

Six. Six years. Wow.

In the car this morning, she said, "I'm six! Now I'm the same age as Tyler! and I'm older than Dylan!" And then she paused, and said, "Mom? Why am I not six and a half?"

We let her open two presents this morning (she has four from us, and one large package waiting from Aunt Rachael and Uncle Rimas), and she picked out two from us, which turned out to be the pink tiger and teddy bear she'd asked for.

I bought some iced sugar cookies for her to take to school to share with her class. She was pretty excited about that, too.

And Saturday is her party at Jumping Joey's (for the third year in a row, now). Today, while I'm out and about to get my allergy shots, I'll also swing by a local bakery and buy some icing flowers to put on her cake. Tomorrow night, I'll actually bake the cake, and Friday evening, I'll put on the frosting and flowers. (Hoping that doesn't take too long to do, because also Friday evening, Sam is coming over to be a Responsible Adult In The House so Matt and I can go to the movies.)

I've also got deli and rolls for sandwiches (because the party is right at lunchtime) and some popcorn for snacking on. I'm quite certain that I'm forgetting something, but I have not the slightest idea what it might be.

And after the party (I'm not sure exactly when, as details have not yet been discussed) she's going home with Jess for a sleepover. (Note to self: need to print out an updated instruction sheet for KT.) We (or at least one of us) will drive down to pick her up sometime on Sunday, hopefully before an excess of excitement and a shortage of sleep make them too cranky.

So we're in for a busy next few days, but it should be fun! (If I can just wade through the towering stack of stuff at work, anyway...)

No comments: