Friday, August 14, 2009

Zip Zoom

Making this a quick quick post, because I have three documents already on my desk waiting for review, and there's a software delivery today, which takes way longer to put together than it really seems like it should, and there are at least two more documents in the pipeline that I know about, and I haven't even thought about doing any of my administrative paperwork for the week yet, and I have an appointment with the eye doctor at 9:45.

(Why, why do they say, "Okay, your appointment is at 10; please be here fifteen minutes early so we can do paperwork and the preliminary tests"? Why not just say my appointment is at 9:45? It's not like he's not going to keep me waiting for an extra twenty minutes or so anyway.)

So. I managed to bake and decorate Penny's cake last night, and I'm feeling pretty good about it. It's not professional-grade decoration by any stretch of the imagination, but I did manage to get some fancy fillips of icing around the top, and there are roses and other sugar decorations distributed so that every slice of cake will have something extra on it, for those who like that sort of thing (and those who don't can just pick them off). And I added up the cake and icing and such and came up with estimated points and carbs, for all our various dietary restrictions and rules.

And then, even though it was nearly 10:00 by that point, I thought I'd try to write a little bit. I'd been poking at this scene, trying to capture the appropriate feeling of despair and horror. I'm not very good at writing horror, but I was cribbing from something KT had written, and she's an excellent horror writer, so that helped. Anyway, I think I finally at least touched it, and when I looked up, it was almost 11:30 and I'd written just over 700 words. Which is not too bad, really, considering how many times I'd backed up started over, or just sat there trying to summon the image I wanted... Even better considering that when I read over it, I mostly even liked it.

So I'm a little sleepy this morning, but it was totally worth it.

The Weekend of Fun begins tonight! Can't wait!

No comments: