Monday, August 17, 2009

Omens

When I left work on Friday, it was raining, very lightly. In the verbena (I found out what they're called!) in front of the office was a hummingbird, brilliantly green despite the overcast sky.

I chose to see it as a good omen for the weekend, and it turned out not altogether inaccurate.

Matt and I made it to Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Friday night, and quite enjoyed it, even though my eyes still ached from my eye exam earlier (about which, more later, in another post, eventually). We pondered the rewrites and the stuff that had been cut on the way home and decided we agreed with them. My only complaint was that they stripped out the explanation, in the end, of exactly why Snape was the Half-Blood Prince, and while that's not vital to the plot, it does lend a little insight to his character in the end. And also, I expect it might have been a bit confusing to anyone watching the movie who hadn't read the book -- but then, aside from my dad, I doubt there are many of those.

We didn't get home until after 1am, though, so I was still pretty tired when Penny woke me up at 7:15 Saturday morning.

I spent most of Saturday morning getting things ready and packed for the party. Alex got cranky around 10:30, so I took a chance and put him down for an early nap, in the hopes he'd wake up in time for the party.

He didn't, of course. Matt and I talked about it, and decided that since he's even grouchier when he's been woken than when he hasn't had a nap at all, that I'd take Penny on to the party and Matt would stay home until Alex woke up, and just hope he didn't decide to do one of his occasional four-hour snoozes.

The party itself went splendidly. Only one kid didn't show up, which isn't a bad turnout, really. The kids had a fantastic time, the sandwiches and cake were a hit, and there was rejoicing all around.





When it was all over, we went back home, where Penny and Jess and Ray worked off some of the sugar up in Penny's room while Matt and I chatted with KT and Kevin.

Eventually, we got Penny's bag packed and sent her home with KT and Kevin for a sleepover with Jess, and Matt and I more or less collapsed for a bit. Our freedom was still somewhat limited, since we still had Alex, but it was surprisingly relaxing to only have one kid to keep track of, and Alex made the most of having our attention all to himself.

(I feel bad for KT, though, since apparently Penny was so keyed up that she woke up every half hour or so all night long and kept getting out of bed and waking KT up. It wasn't on purpose -- KT's a light sleeper, so she just woke up whenever Penny got up -- but still, ouch. It may be a while before Penny gets to sleep over at anyone else's house again.)

Sunday morning, after we were up and dressed and had started the laundry, I sent Matt down to pick Penny up. While he was gone, I took Alex to the grocery store with me, fed him lunch, got him down for a nap, and did a couple of loads of laundry. When they got back, Matt took Alex with him to the comic book store (and to get some ice cream, on a whim -- too bad for Penny that she opted out of going!) The rest of the evening was normal and fairly relaxed -- finishing up the laundry, making dinner (I really ought to make that maple-mustard chicken more often) and cleaning up afterward, and so forth.

I managed to get a little writing done after the kids were in bed, and then I went to bed myself a bit early.

And now I'm back to work for the week and trying to figure out what's going on besides the big software delivery on Thursday. As if that's not enough.

No comments: