Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Plodding

I feel sort of like I'm plodding through my days, lately.

Despite my choice of verb, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I get up, go to the bathroom, and brush my teeth. I pull out the Wii Fit and exercise for about 20 minutes, interspersed with helping Penny make her breakfast, and doing her breakfast shot. (I'd make her wait until I was done exercising to eat, except that then she just sits and watches me, and I hate to be watched when I'm exercising.) I take my meds, and get the lunches out of the fridge and pile them by the door. I check the night's email and twitters. I get dressed. I herd the kids out to the car and take them to school. (Alex stops in the toddler room to beg a cracker from Ms. Gwen, then wants to hang his jacket up by himself when we get to the 2-year-old class. Penny gets five hugs, five kisses, and five "special" kisses when we part ways in the school lobby.)

I go to work. If it's a good day, I have a lot of work to do; a mediocre day is slow; and on bad days, I don't have much to do, but there are enough regular interruptions that I can't think about writing. Three days a week (more or less), I go to the gym at lunchtime; one day a week I get my allergy shots.

I go home. I make dinner. I eat dinner. I clean up after dinner and make lunches for the next day. I read a book to Alex and take him up to bed, then listen to Penny's homework reading. I get her put to bed, then take my shower, and then decide what to do with my hour or two of "free" time before I go to bed. The option list is usually: watch TV (well, TiVO), watch a movie (Netflix), read, write, mess with photos (on the computer), or scrapbook (i.e, mess with photos on paper). Just lately, playing Portal is on the list, too. (This week, I'm trying to spend at least an hour a night writing, in preparation for the writing retreat this weekend. It didn't work out Monday, because I had work to do, but I managed to dig in the discipline last night after Matt and I watched Monday's Big Bang Theory.)

There's a lot of sameness to my days. A lot of routine. But that doesn't make it bad. Aside from the omnipresent frustration that there isn't enough time in the day to do all the things I want to do, I'm pretty happy with my life.

There's something to be said for that.

1 comment:

Vicarella said...

There are a lot of people out there (myself included) who would probably love to have some of the "sameness" in your life...beautiful children, adoring husband. You're right...there's a lot to be said for your life and the happiness that you have, even if may seem like the same thing, day in and day out.