Monday, August 9, 2010

Accidental

Penny's sleepover Friday went very well. I took Penny over and explained everything to the mom, and then Matt went over to deliver her shot for dinner and again for the cake, and the host mom called us at about 10:30 to give us the pre-bed report, which was fine. I went over in the morning to do Penny's breakfast shot, and then we picked her up at 10. It was a lot of back and forth for us, but she had a blast, which was the point: letting her do as much as possible of the things that other kids get to do.

Like stay up all night, which she swears she did. (I'm not sure I believe that, but for certain she was still awake at 12:30.) She also swore she wasn't tired when we got home, but because I'm a Mean Mom (TM), I made her lay down after lunch anyway, and she wound up taking a three-hour nap -- and it would have been longer, except we woke her up so she would be able to go to bed at bedtime.

Sunday afternoon, we took the kids to see Despicable Me, which I've been wanting to see since I saw the first trailer. It's a PG movie, though, and Penny still prefers her movies squarely in the G realm, so I'd been hesitating. But Matt looked up the ratings explanation and we didn't find anything in there too horrible, so we decided to chance it. I whetted Penny's appetite by showing her the trailers online (she reacts to things better if they're at least somewhat familiar), and off we went.

Everyone got popcorn, and Alex settled in on my lap, and... miracle of wonders -- no one asked to leave the theater for the whole show! Alex got a bit bored about twenty minutes from the end of the movie, but let me soothe him back into watching (reason #47 why Movie Tavern is better than Regal Cinemas: the freestanding chairs rock and swivel). Penny didn't have to go to the bathroom. Wahoo!

By the time we got home, though, Penny wasn't feeling too well. She had a blood sugar crash (apparently I'd guessed a bit wrong on how much popcorn she had) and by the time I got dinner on the table, she swore she wasn't hungry. I hadn't thought she'd had that much popcorn, but she spent the whole evening dragging around complaining of feeling too full, so... I don't know. This morning, I found she'd got up during the night and dragged her trash can over by the bed because she was worried she might throw up. She said she was feeling somewhat better this morning, but she still wasn't hungry, so... we'll see, I guess.

This week... This week! There will be excitement! Penny's birthday is Thursday, and Saturday is her birthday party. Also on Saturday, my book will be released! So you can look forward to me posting about that a lot, both here and on my writing blog. (I'm considering holding a contest on the writing blog, in fact, for a free copy of the story -- what do you think?)

It's gonna be a good week!

No comments: