Friday, September 10, 2010

Writing Advice

I talked to Dad again last night. Grandmom's memorial service will be a week from tomorrow, down in Atlanta. I'm going for certain, though Matt and I are still talking about whether he and the kids will come as well. There's a lot of pros and cons to juggle, there -- emotional support and family togetherness and Matt's desire to pay his respects vs. the kids' likely boredom and lack of understanding/investment and the additional cost and hassle. They'd certainly be distracting, which could be both good and bad.

They've also asked me if I would write a eulogy. I have no idea what to say, honestly. Matt and I had this conversation about it:

"Why me?"

"It's because you're the writer of the family."

"Well, yeah, I know. But I write trashy romances."

"You should probably leave the sweaty man-love out of this one."

"No? You don't think my family would appreciate that?"

"In fact, you should probably leave all the sweaty love out of it."

"No sex in the eulogy. Check. Thanks for the advice, babe."

He's always looking out for me like that.

Additional item to put on the to-do list: buy a black dress. I wonder if I can get away with the dress I wore to the weddings this summer, if I put a black sweater on it. That feels kind of nasty and cheap, though. Well, I promised Penny I'd take her clothes shopping this weekend anyway; I'll see what I can find.

No comments: