Thursday, June 10, 1999

I got an e-mail from my brother's fiancée this morning asking for some advice on wedding planning. Have I mentioned before that I adore my future sister-in-law? I do; but I think she's going to be a nervous wreck by the time they have this wedding.

Matt and I dropped by our house last night, and they've completed the framing of the first floor! We climbed up into it and wandered around trying to visualize where things would be. We'll go back this evening to see if they get the second floor done. We also met our next-door neighbor, Mike. Mike has a wife, a three-year-old daughter, and two dogs. (My poor cat...) He seemed very friendly and nice, and he told us that by the time we move in, our little cul-de-sac will be home to a Marine, a Newport News police officer, and a state trooper. (Mike himself is an ex-Marine, actually.) We'll have the safest damn block in the neighborhood. Who's going to cause trouble with that combination? My mom thinks we should arrange block parties and offer to fix people's computers.

KT tells me that Richard and Carl aren't going to be in the Werewolf game anymore - the game was getting way too full, so she had to ask several people if they'd be willing to drop out. They'll be joining Kevin's AD&D 3 playtest game, but Matt and I can't be in that game. (We just can't handle two games on one weekend on a regular basis - especially not since Kevin's game is scheduled for the day when we usually do our laundry and go to the grocery store.) So I won't be seeing as much of Richard and Carl. I'm a little sad about that - I really like them and was happy to "find" them again. It gives me just a little more incentive to get my AD&D game started, though, since they'll be in that.

I joined a web burb yesterday - Non-Pussies. It's a burb for people who write their own HTML code, instead of using WYSIWYG editors like FrontPage. The name came from The Mighty Kymm, who has long maintained that "only pussies use HTML editors." I actually use an HTML editor - HomeSite - but I don't use the WYSIWYG part of it, and I write my code by hand, so they graciously allowed me to join. I want to make it clear right now (because I have friends who use FrontPage) that my scorn is reserved for the HTML editors themselves, not the people who use them! ::grin::

KT and Kevin came over last night to watch the pilot episode of Crusade with us. (KT had called to ask us to tape it for them, since they don't have cable, but we hadn't been able to get our VCR to work quite right, so we invited them over instead.) I enjoyed the show, though like all pilot episodes, the acting was a little wooden in places, and the plot seemed slightly rushed and moderately contrived. (Only slightly better, really, than the stereotypical AD&D beginner, You're in a bar...) But the main characters were very strong, and I'm looking forward to seeing some character development. I'm quite irritable that TNT cancelled the show before they even finished the first season's production. Still, according to this post at the Lurker's Guide to B5, there's some hope that either TNT or the Sci-Fi Channel will pick up the second season next year.

No comments: