Friday, June 18, 1999

There was good news, and there was bad news. After work yesterday, I decided to drive by the house lot and see if they'd managed to do any work, despite the rain that's been hanging in the air all week. And they had! They'd put up the frame for the roof, and some windows had been delivered. Given that we've just had three days of rain clouds hanging fat and low in the sky (and frequently opening to dump rain), I was surprised they'd managed anything at all. So that's the good news.

The bad news is that, on the way home, my car's "Check Engine" light came on. Now, I knew the car was having problems. For the past few weeks it's been shuddering, hesitating, and stalling like a virgin bride. But I'd been hoping it would last until Matt came home before I had to take it to the shop. But no - once the light comes on, it's time to take it in.

So I went home and called Merchant's. They person I talked to told me that they do a shuttle service and could get me to work. That settled it. So this morning, bright and early, I drove up to Merchant's. Checked in the car. And then found out that they don't operate the shuttle until 9AM, because that's when everyone comes in, and where was I going? NORGE??? That was too far. So I told them they could take me home instead, which was five miles closer. When the shuttle was available, that is. I sighed, and sat down in their waiting area, glad I'd brought a book with me. Then the guy called me back to the desk and said they'd call a cab for me.

"I don't have enough cash on me to pay for a cab."

"Oh, no, we'll pay for it."

And add it to my bill. Right. After telling me it's going to cost $65 just for you to tell me what's wrong with the car, you should pay for it.

But I didn't really want to sit in their waiting room for another hour and a half, so he called a cab for me.

The cab driver was very nice - soft-spoken and sympathetic about my car. He wouldn't accept the tip I tried to give him when he dropped me off. So now I'm at home. I'm not going to be doing anything at home all day that I wasn't going to do at work, since I still don't have a project, but at home I'm not going to get paid for it. (Or rather, I'll get paid, but I'll have to burn leave time.) This makes me slightly irritable, but I'll get over it, I suppose.

I'll be spending the evening with KT (and unless I get my car back, the night as well, since I'm hardly going to ask her to drive me home after midnight when she lives a good thirty miles from me.) We spent yesterday making plans via e-mail, but it was mostly just listing the possibilities. We'll be playing it by ear, mostly.

And the weekend promises to be nice - the weather is shaping up to be very pretty and spring-like, I'm having people over on Saturday, Matt is due home Saturday night, and we're taking my parents to see Phantom Menace as a Father's Day present to my dad on Sunday. So my mood will improve. I promise!

No comments: