Friday, August 15, 2008

Another Day

So yes, I made the cupcakes for Penny's party last night. (The cake part. They are not yet iced.) Penny "helped" in that I let her have one finger of batter off the beaters, and she held onto the tin as I was putting it into the oven until she had to let go because her arms are shorter than the oven door is wide, and then she proudly danced off to tell Matt, "I helped!" (Also, when the first batch of cupcakes was done, I dumped them onto the cooling rack and let her turn them all right side up.)

I was sort of proud of myself for managing to actually make exactly 24 cupcakes, which is what the box says you should get out of the batter. I usually end up with something weird, like 22, or 25. They are not all exactly the same size, but they're probably close enough for various diet estimations. (Seventeen grams of carbs per cupcake, give or take, sans icing. Yes, Weight-Watchers people, I will bring along the cal/fat/fiber data so you can figure points.)

Tonight, I'll ice them and let Penny help by putting sprinkles on the tops.

And I'll put goodie bags together while Matt and I are watching our movie tonight, so that will be all ready to go. And then tomorrow I'll just need to run to the grocery store for a veggie tray, some bottled water, and some chips.




After I dropped the kids off at daycare this morning, it occurred to me that I didn't have any grits in my desk at work, and I'd need to stop somewhere and pick up some breakfast. (Or skip breakfast, but that's just setting myself up to have three or four candy bars before lunch.)

A bagel would be nice, I thought. Maybe I'll swing by Panera. It's not that far out of my way.

So I did.

As I was standing in line, I thought, Hey, I should get a dozen and share with the office. I know it always brightens my day when I wander into the kitchen for coffee and find unexpected treats.

So I did.

And it was good, and many people thanked me, and I am feeling pretty good today, despite knowing I'm going to be here at the office again on Sunday.

No comments: